Score editor: score error 9 reproduction scenario

Score editor: score error 9 reproduction scenario
I’ve been running into score error 9 regularly in Cubase 10 as wel as 10.5. It seems a combination of things that I’m doing “wrong” in my scores again and again. Here’s what I do, and perhaps you guys can verify or help me out here.

I’ve uploaded an excerpt of a simple project, it only contains the tempo track, chord track, signature track and piano midi part (as far as I’m aware of :slight_smile: ) The piano part still needs a neat layout (manually)
the project can be downloaded from here: https://hamicast.nl/hans/ytresources/test_score_error9.cpr
You might be missing audio input/outputs/plugins/fonts but never mind.

I can open the piano part in the score editor, go to another page, switch between edit and page mode without problem.
But as soon as I set the multirest property to “2” in the score settings
scoresettings.jpg
and switch to page mode or (to another page when already in page mode) I get a score error 9.

Can’t repro here. Have you done the basics for troubleshooting, temporarily removing prefs? (and be sure to also remove previous and other version prefs)

I’ve tested with brand new prefs - same error 9 result (Windows 10 1909, 18363.whatever) Cubase 10.0 as well as 10.5

video: https://hamicast.nl/hans/ytresources/scoreerror9.mp4

C runtime perhaps?, I’ve got this %system32%\ucrtbase.dll version: 10.0.18362.387, is that the one I should have?

I missed the bottom line of your post

and switch to page mode or (to another page when already in page mode) I get a score error 9.

I was able to crash Cubase when including that. No error message or crash dump though.

Can you repro in a new empty project?

The problem is in the file itself, An new empty project doesn’t repro. I would try deleting all the layouts in the project in question.

C runtime perhaps?, I’ve got this %system32%\ucrtbase.dll version: 10.0.18362.387, is that the one I should have?

highly doubtful, esp considering the above.

no luck deleting every layout, tried creating an empty project and importing the piano track from the error9 project. And yep then the error 9 is present in the newly created project too. Well, enough for today, Steve thanks for verifying.

Ok I think I isolated the issue.
The problem seems to be the Rhythmic Notation display.
Remove all Rhythmic Bars in the score and the error won’t appear when processing multi-rests.
This is not a solution.
I will report the bug to Steinberg.

Confirmed. There is some nasty bug with multi-rests combined with rhythm notation. I’ll have to do some research what’s going on here.
Thanks a lot for the clear scenario to reproduce the problem!

Thanks everyone!

FWIW, just yesterday I started getting hard crashes and score error 9s in a session I added some rhythmic notation to. Process was:

1.) Disable multi-rests
2.) Add rhythmic notation
3.) Enable multi rests
4.) Score editor usually gives Score Editor 9 at this point, and trying to re-open crashes cubase

Seems to work and fixed in 10.5.20