Score Editor: Showing Multiple Tracks on the same Staff

Hi,
It would be great if Cubase could display Multiple Track on the same Staff. Say I have in the folder track “violins” 5 or 6 different articulation ( to work and experiment with) and would like to see them in Score editor in one staff. Please see the attachment:

. In key editor this is possible.

One way for the GUI could be having a setting in preferences like this: Show MIDI tracks in folder tracks in Score editor :

1. separate track,
  2. single track,
  3. show none. Or maybe allowing all three options for each folder track separately to make it more flexible.

Would be great to see it happen in Score editor.

CS

A fine request… just as an fyi, in case you haven’t found this-

A way to accomplish this would be by using the same track, and having each articulation on a different channel. (and set the track’s midi channel to ‘any’). Of course this only works for a single multitimbral VSTi, as you can’t send the midi to different output ports.

Yes, but It’s not very practical. For instance, I could use the track lanes in order to have flutes 1 and 2 separated, but again, it makes the editing very unpractical. Isn’t there any other option?

You can move the parts of the different tracks on top of each other. That way, all the MIDI notes will show up in the scores in one staff.

3 Likes

These solutions are sub-optimal work arounds.
An example of a typical use-case:
You have a string quartet in 4 different channels, each one is routed to a different instrument (OK, Violin I and II might be the same instrument but that’s not the case for Viola and Cello), as different articulation events, and different expression (CC) data, and you want to show it on a two staff score (so it’s easier to read). Currently you’ll have to put the Violin I & II on one track and Viola & Cello on another then edit the actual MIDI notes so they are sent to different instruments. Not to mention that’s it’s not easy to open and edit the different MIDI events when they are on top of each other (Yes, I know I can use lanes, but still)

It would have been nice if it was just a configuration in the score setting (Maybe in the “Layout” tab?)

To do that with the current workarounds you’ll have

I have long since moved away from using a single project for everything. Instead, I create several projects, or more precisely, I modify a common start project for the various purposes. One modification for sound demo purposes, one or more other project versions for sheet music printing. This is the only way to optimize everything correctly for the respective purpose without having to compromise.

1 Like

You can show multiple tracks in one piano roll editor, so why not one score editor?

Would be super-useful

Of course you can show multiple tracks in the Score Editor. But that’s not what’s been discussed in this thread.

I mean on two staves rather than a bunch of them