Score Editor Spacing Questions.

I have 3 problems regarding spacing in the Score editor.

1. Grace notes are appearing too far from the notes that they proceed. As result the are being hidden/obscured the notes that come before the note to which the grace note should be related.

2. Accidental symbols are not being given consideration in the spacing. As a result (just like issue #1) they are being hidden/obscured by notes occurring before the note to which the accidental applies.

3. Bar spacing control I am working on a project in which the majority of the project consists of time signatures alternating between 4/4 and 5/4. These are close enough that at 4 bars per page (for a score) it works out ok. However there are 2 sections in the project that are 11/4. With that many beats in the measure compressed to the size of 4 bars per page as the setting dictates, the notes are to squished together to see what they are.

Ideally I would like to be able to expand those measures the point were they could seen. The result should be that the subsequent measures would be pushed out to a new page as needed.

This is only needed for the 11/4 measures, but there are occasional 4/4 or 5/4 measures with a lot of 16th or 32nd notes that could use the same expansion.

I can’t seem to find the instructions that would enable me to do what I need to do.

Hi,
First question… Have you used Scores menu>Auto Layout>“Move Bars”? (Always a good place to start :wink: )
Next, if necessary, go to Score Settings>Project>Spacings, and locate the item “Behind Grace Notes” (if this is a setting you’d like to adjust “globally”)
Otherwise, just use the “Hand” tool, and drag the grace note closer.

1. Accidental symbols are not being given consideration in the spacing. As a result (just like issue #1) they are being hidden/obscured by notes occurring before the note to which the accidental applies.

Here again, if Auto Layout hasn’t given you satisfaction, use the Hand tool (yes, this isn’t the only circumstance in which a Hand tool can give satisfaction! :stuck_out_tongue: )

1. Bar spacing control I am working on a project in which the majority of the project consists of time signatures alternating between 4/4 and 5/4. These are close enough that at 4 bars per page (for a score) it works out ok. However there are 2 sections in the project that are 11/4. With that many beats in the measure compressed to the size of 4 bars per page as the setting dictates, the notes are to squished together to see what they are.

Ideally I would like to be able to expand those measures the point were they could seen. The result should be that the subsequent measures would be pushed out to a new page as needed.

This is only needed for the 11/4 measures, but there are occasional 4/4 or 5/4 measures with a lot of 16th or 32nd notes that could use the same expansion.

Scores menu>Advanced Layout>“Number of Bars”…
What I’d do in these cases…you have it set to “4 Bars” by default?.. so all is ok until the staff where you need more space. Select that staff, then “Number of Bars” (set it to taste)… but… (even though a bit illogical, this works best :wink: )… set it to “All Staves” rather than “This Staff”. Once you have done that, on the next staff, set it back to 4 bars for All Staves, then just work through your score, doing similar, as and where necessary :wink:.
It might eventually need a final revisit to “Auto Layout>Move Staves”, in order to move staves to next page if necessary.

vic_france,

Thank you for your response. While it didn’t work quite as you indicated for the most part, it did give me enough of a direction to try some things that now have the score at a passible point.

The hand/cursor tool won’t let me grab the accidentals at all (is that because I’m in page mode?).

Trying to set the bar numbers per page wouldn’t let me set it for 1 page only (from the bar that I had selected). It changed the entire project.

Trying auto layout move bars scrunched the bars I wanted to move backwards.

However. What I ended up doing was auto layout optimize. That took care of my 11/4 measures quite nicely.

I was able to tweak the accidentals oddly enough, not by “Note to accidental” parameter, but by the “Space between accidentals,” parameter. Seems to me that there is some weirdness in the terminology. Maybe that has to do with English as it is understood in Europe vs the United States versions of English.

Any how, thanks for pointing me in a good direction.

Sorry, I thought it did, but you are indeed correct

Trying to set the bar numbers per page wouldn’t let me set it for 1 page only (from the bar that I had selected). It changed the entire project.

Yes, that is normal.

Trying auto layout move bars scrunched the bars I wanted to move backwards.

Backwards?? (I don’t even know what you mean there) No idea why that would happen :confused: It should indeed work… I do it all the time.

However. What I ended up doing was auto layout optimize. That took care of my 11/4 measures quite nicely.

I was able to tweak the accidentals oddly enough, not by “Note to accidental” parameter, but by the “Space between accidentals,” parameter.

I didn’t suggest that, because if the default setting is zero, and it is still too far apart from the note, you can’t set it to a negative number. However, you can do it (on a note-by-note basis) by selecting the note then using “Get Note Info”.