Score Error 1

:frowning: I’m continually getting “Score Error 1”, sometimes followed by “A serious problem has occurred …” when I try to access score editor for a certain violin track. I’ve tried moving it to a different track, to no avail. All other tracks open normally in score editor.

Have you tried hiding the info line in the score editor?

:exclamation: Well, thank you for the 10 minutes I was able to enjoy…until it crashed again – same error, usually causing me to go to Windows Task Manager to close Cubase. (UPDATE: It does seem to be behaving now, but I who knows for how long?) Also, I’m wondering what uses the info line has which I might miss by having it hidden. Any other ideas you have would certainly be appreciated.

Another persistent (related?) problem is that I have to repeatedly replace the check-mark in Preferences>Scores>Editing>Show Position Cursor. I’m wondering if I might be doing something to cause this, e.g., accidentally executing a key command.

Well, thank you for the 10 minutes I was able to enjoy…until it crashed again – same error, usually causing me to go to Windows Task Manager to close Cubase. (UPDATE: It does seem to be behaving now, but who knows for how long?) Also, I’m wondering what uses the info line has which I might miss by having it hidden. Any other ideas you have would certainly be appreciated.

Another persistent (related?) problem is that I have to repeatedly replace the check-mark in Preferences>Scores>Editing>Show Position Cursor. I’m wondering if I might be doing something to cause the cursor to disappear, e.g., accidentally executing a key command.

[sorry to have previously “replied” to myself :blush: ]

Have you tried trashing your preferences? https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/removing-the-preferences-of-the-sequencer/kb_back/2025.html?tx_p77sbknowledgebase_pi1[keyword_search]=Preferences

I will look into that about the Show Position Cursor. Exactly which version of Cubase are you running?

The Score 1 error could be a corrupted layout, so try deleting the layout associated with that part. Also, you might check the list edit window for events beginning before the start of the part. (going by memory here…)

I’m running 6, did the latest update, hoping that would help.

As to the other (Cursor) issue, I’m not sure trashing the Preferences would make any difference, since I have not altered any of the parameters referred to in the link you sent. Also, if I do proceed, I’d like to know what “resp.” means.

I’m using the “Key Editor” but find the Operation Manual to have sparse info on how to use it for quantizing and tuplets – unless I’m not looking in the right place. (The index does not even cite “Key Editor”!)

I had checked the list editor no strange entries or anything before bar 2, beat one (the start of the part). The “corrupted layout” theory makes sense; but I’m not sure I understand how to delete it. (I clicked “open layout” and was confronted with a long list with many identical part names, so I thought I’d better wait and study up.) Fortunately, after numerous times importing the track to a new project, it seems to have stopped crashing;
however, a new prob. has arisen: when grabbing a note in score editor to change pitch or move, upon hitting “alt” (as I’m clicking and holding) the entire score page goes white except for a bar or two around the note I’m trying to edit. Thanks for your ideas.

Trashing the preferences is a desparate last attempt to a solution. The resp. basically means “or.”

The score editor has always been known for it’s instability, the graphics are ridiculously unstable compared to the key editor. If you do try trashing your preferences, remember don’t delete them but rather cut and paste them in a separate place. If the problem is not solved, go back and delete the ones that Cubase just generated on startup and paste your old ones back in. You don’t necessarily have to change the parameters in the “Preferences” dialogue for one of your preferred settings to become corrupted. :wink:

Hopefully it is something amiss in the list editor that can be more easily treated.

The score editor has always been heavy on the graphics since year dot. Keep graphic assignments fairly simple and as optimised as possible.