Score Sharing Platform

Good Morning Dorico Forums,

It’s been a while since my last post but anyways. I used to use Musescore and one of it’s strongest selling points (for me at least) was the ability to share scores online. This was a really nice feature especially when I was arranging something. Does Dorico ever plan on having anything like this? Just curious, of course! :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance,
Ian Hook

Check out the Scorico site that @dan_kreider created.

I saw this and this is very useful for classical scores, but I’m looking more for modern scores… notice the variety that musescore has available, also that you can export .musescore, .musicxml, sound files, .pdf, etc.

Scorico is more for historical scores while Musescore’s sharing platform allows anything!

If I am not wrong, Scorico is new and depends upon what folks submit to it. Perhaps here is a chance for you to make a difference.

MuseScore pays for licensing agreements with some publishers, which allow some of these non-public domain works to remain up. Here’s a link about that. That said, I suspect there are still lots of copyright violations posted there too which could expose themselves or the poster to potential legal liability. I’m certainly not a lawyer so I don’t understand all the ins and outs of how a site like that stays up, but they are either paying for the licenses or they are at the mercy of publishers not issuing DCMA takedown requests.

In any case, it’s not free and it involves significant legal risk, so I’m not surprised Steinberg has no interest in it. Dan’s Scorico site is pretty cool though! You can read the copyright and IP stuff here. You can only submit items which are public domain or for which you own the copyright.

4 Likes

Thanks all. Yes, Scorico is barely two weeks old, and we have around 85 scores at present. We’ll grow.

I’ve put quite a bit of money into the site, so I need to give it some time to recoup some costs (I hope!). If that starts to happen, I’m very willing to look at expanding the site, perhaps even allowing different types of licensing to include works under copyright. It’s just that those sorts of agreements are an accounting and logistical nightmare.

Hopefully someday!

2 Likes