Score users, can you assist me? (some questions)

Hey all, I’ve recently gotten into piano composition again and thought I’d try out Cubase scoring functionality instead of purchasing a 3rd party package.

Just to start with:

• I intend to enter notes in the score editor itself and work exclusively in the score editor (as opposed to display quantising MIDI data recorded live or via the piano roll)

• I’m interested in an adequate printable final result that looks presentable

• I hope to use step MIDI input to insert my notes into the score

• I have been reading the manual but find it very badly written and hard to comprehend

• I am using Cubase 9.5.10 on macOS High Sierra

So here are some questions:

1. What is the best way to insert a title, sub-title and composer? I’m using Page Text and have to set the font for each item and move the first system down to accomodate the text; is this correct?

2. The manual mentions page margins in Page Setup but I see no such options (only paper size and orientation). Both the staves and all page text that is left/right aligned is absolutely stuck on the very edge of the paper which is a problem for printing. So far I have been adjusting such positions by dragging each element inwards on the score. Is there something I’m missing?
    Screen Shot 2017-12-31 at 1.49.40 pm.png

3. I’m using the staff in polyphonic mode (bass and treble clef with 2 voices each / 4 voices total) and cannot find any way to insert notes using Step Input into the bass clef. The manual mentions transmitting notes on different MIDI channels to access each voice
    but that doesn’t seem to work for me.

I’m sure I’ll have more questions, but any help at all would be appreciated!

Huge love

1. That’s what I do, except there is usually enough space at the top so I don’t need to move the system. Maybe a score guru can advise on setting the default. I looked in Score Settings and didn’t see anything (still could be there though).

2. File/Page Setup will let you set the margins.

3. I assume you are changing the channel your keyboard controller is transmitting. By default in Polyphonic mode any notes on Channel 1 will be soprano, 2 alto, 3 tenor & 4 bass. If you select a note you can verify its channel number in the info line. FYI if you have the same part open in the Key Editor & set it to color notes by Channel (instead of the default Velocity) it’s easier to see what notes are on what Channel. It is also easier to select and change a bunch of Channel numbers all at once in the Key Ed.

Anyway it sounds like you are trying to get notes on Channels 3 or 4 but they are ending up on 1 or 2. Check the Inspector for the Track and verify the Channel number is set to ‘Any’ - this will record the midi note on whatever Channel your controller is transmitting. If the Inspector was set for example to Channel 1 then even though your controller transmits on 3 it will be converted to 1 and forced onto the upper staff.

Thanks so much for your reply, I’ll try out your suggestions. Regarding the page margins though, check out my screenshot. Page Setup shows no margins at all on my system. What am I missing? :slight_smile:

Your screenshot looks like an OS Page Setup :question: & not Cubase’s. But I don’t really know if things are a bit different on a Mac than a PC.
Page Setup.png
Maybe a Mac Score user will comment.

Thanks so much for your help! :slight_smile:

On my system, the first window that opens when selecting File>Page Setup is identical to fgimian’s screenshot.
The next step is to select Manage Custom Sizes from the Paper Sizes popup.
Clicking the plus sign to add a custom paper size will reveal the margin parameters.

Ooooh, cool!! Huge thanks for pointing this out, I would have never figured it out to be honest.

I’ve been trying out MuseScore and overall think that I may be using that for scoring instead to be honest.

Cheers and happy 2018 guys!
Fotis