scoring guitar tabs in Cubase 10?

So it’s been awhile since I’ve written music in this manner, and I’ve been dying to do it since Cakewalk Sonar 8 introduced something new to it’s application that ruined my ease of tabbing ideas, and the work flow was flawless for me in Sonar 6. I’ve tried getting used to Guitar Pro 7, but importing drums mid tabbing kind of slows me down.

Weird to say that I kind of prefer to keep things in the box as much as possible, and am looking at avoiding working outside of Cubase for most of my content.

I have tried locating some tutorials and have read the manual a few times regarding notation and tablature editing, but it doesn’t seem to really address an issue I have been dealing with, and I might be a little slow to the draw. I try to tab but it doesn’t really quantize, as well as i can’t seem to go any higher than the 4th fret on all but the 1st string.

Has anyone had any experience with this method and if so, have you gotten it to work for you? I know it’s probably not “efficient” to most, but I’ve wanted to go this route for a long time especially with plugins and libraries I have that could benefit.

Sorry if this doesn’t make much sense.

I lost patience with it. I have a fisherman triple play and it seemed it was impossible to get Cubase to recognise the strings I was playing correctly.
a 7th fret on the low E would be 2nd fret on the A string for example.
I’m waiting for Dorico to support tablature. guitar Pro is impossibly unintuitive along with all the trash iOS apps out there…

AFAIK no new features in Cubase 10 for tablature. Few like myself have asked for these features, I’ve submitted some bug/issue here Steinberg Forums
but as you can see by the response, there is some major misunderstandings about tablature and how it’s used that it’s not considered a real issue. It’s sad because only a few tweaks could go a long way, and the current iteration is really really bare-bones.

I will say that as for articulations I have been switching over to the Expression Maps method (for key switch/patch switch for articulation) and so far I am really happy. However, as everything is centered around film composers there are no tablature symbols. If there was it is supposed to work great when you want to export from Cubase to tab and then the symbols will all be there just as you put them in Cubase.

I would like them to go much more like the older Sonar/Cakewalks and allow a Tablature editor which you can just use the arrow keys and number keys to quickly edit your tab… I don’t think it’s going to happen.

1 Like