Scratching my head over Tempo map and Fermatas

Your most recent post raises several issues that were not mentioned in your original post. Allow me to start by simplifying the formulas I gave before while handling the case of a fermata without a gap.

Once again, let t represent the given tempo, h represent the hold duration % and g represent the gap duration %.

If g = 0 or the property Hold only is activated, then the tempo during the entire written duration of a note with a fermata is 100 * t / (100 + h).

Otherwise, a note with a fermata is heard during the first half of its written duration and the gap occurs during the second half of its written duration.
The tempo during the first half is 50 * t / (100 + h) and the tempo during the second half is 50 * t / g with a maximum tempo during the gap of 500 quarter notes per minute.

Since h is not allowed to be less than zero, the played duration of a note cannot be shortened be adding a fermata to it.

The beat unit in the tempo editor always seems to be a quarter note, and lowering the range maximum only clips the displayed tempos without affecting the actual tempos.

As your video shows, if you have multiple notes with different written durations which start at the same rhythmic position and a fermata is applied to any of them, the tempo changes only apply to the note with the shortest written duration. The longer notes will continue to sound during the gap following the shortest note, so this situation is probably not very useful. The most common situation when you have multiple notes with different written durations is to have them all end at the same rhythmic position and apply the fermata to the note with the shortest written duration. Then none of these notes will sound during the gap.

1 Like