Scroll Wheel direction behaviour / Cubase 11.0.10

Some users reported that they hat issues with the Zoom direction of the mouse wheel + command function since Cubase 11.0.10.

Some changes have been made in the update in this regards on macOS, but unfortunately they didn’t made it into the release notes. I will add them in the next days.

The direction of the touch pad and the mouse wheel is now aligned to the system preferences in your OS. There is a setting “Scroll direction: Natural” in the settings of the track pad. If this is selected you will be able to zoom in/out in the same way as before.

Before Cubase 11.0.10 the direction was fix and couldn’t be changed. Some users complained about this as well.

@ravez @jamesnorth @luke7020

Please let me know how this change is working for you.

There is a very good app/system add-on for MacOS called Smart Scroll, i use it for a couple of months now and its rocks.

This app lets you reverse and customize wheel/mouse stuff on a application level

Ive found this out after trying Logic, because that application is for the Apple mouse, which works like a trackpad (natural swipe movement instead of a wheel).
If you are used to CB/Windows from the “old days”, that shit will make you crazy LOL

But if I use ‘Natural’ then my scroll direction on my Magic Mouse will be backwards to what I want …

So either way, I’m stuffed.

Can Steinberg make this an option in Cubase, rather than just changing something that’s been around for probably a decade or more?

This behaviour will also be incorrect when scrolling around generally.

So at the moment, I do not have ‘Natural’ on … and I scroll around the project window, I go down for down and up for up. When I hit Command, it’s not the inverse of what it has been for years.

If I make the scroll direction ‘Natural’ you scroll down for up and up for down. But that means the Command + Scroll will be what it used to be … so there’s no solution that allows the status quo.

2 Likes

@Matthias_Quellmann
Hello… I think there was some error or it was misprogrammed how things were before…
before command+scroll (from down to up) would zoom in. Holding shift+scroll (from down to up) would scroll to the left on the timeline.
Currently if it’s set to “Natural” the first scenario is correct but the second (shift+scroll from down to up) scrolls to the right.
The best solution would be to enable a check in settings that says something like “respect system mouse settings” instead of forcing this on all users.

If I uncheck “natural” the opposite happens so that neither scenario is 100% respecting the OS preferences.

I opted for paying $14 for this as it’s really exactly what I need for a quick fix and let’s me target Cubase specifically and not mess up my system settings.
Here’s my settings in case it’s useful for anyone having issues with scroll/zoom. I’m currently set to “Standard scroll” on my OS settings. Since the new update either reverses scroll or zoom you just have to target one of them based on your preferences.

3 Likes

@Matthias_Quellmann
I simply want to be able to zoom in and out vertically using the Magic Mouse and a key. Currently it only allows me to do this horizontally. I’m not sure why

1 Like

I’m also waiting for this… instead of just hitting the increase vertical size key… the faster solution (which already happens with horizontal scale) is have a key combo for vertical and horizontal

2 Likes

agree, please add an option to invert zoom direction, you can’t ask people to invert direction for the whole operating system just to make cubase go back to what it’s always been. And vertical zooming would be really welcome too. I do appreciate how finally smooth zoom is right now on mac though!

2 Likes

That was the goal: Making the zoom smoother. Unfortunately this created the issue with the inverted zoom direction.

I completely agree that just changing the way the mouse wheel scroll works in an update and not being able to change it back completely messes up mine and many others workflow. I dont want to change the settings of my scrolling in Mac OS because I’ve been using these settings for years… Can you please either change it back or, like many others have mentioned, give us an option to change the way of scrolling in the settings? Just doesn’t make sense to change the scrolling behavior out of the blue without mentioning this in the release notes or giving us an option to change it back. Is there a way I can download V11.0 again so I can get it back to what I’m used to? Thanks!

3 Likes

The inverted Zoom direction is killing me. I really need it to be the way it was before the update 10.0.10

3 Likes

This has also completely thrown me… come on Steinberg, fix it, it’s back to front and makes no sense, it should be the same way it moves when you hover the mouse over the scroll zoom bar and turn it!! I do love the smoothness of it now though :wink:

1 Like

This didn’t work for me, nothing changed…

edit- actually it’s because I had to change the setting in my Logitech software, but it changes the direction of everything… I just want the zoom direction changed.

Glad I’m not the only one! This issue post-update has driven me & my muscle memory nuts!

3 Likes

Hello, I just updated Cubase 11 Pro to the newest patched version, and can someone tell me if I am going crazy or the Scroll Up/Down to Zoom In/Out are swapped around now? Please tell me there is a way to change it back! I built it into my muscle memory over 8 years of using Cubase. I am having a hard time navigating through the session… I don’t want to change my scroll direction in preferences as it will be unnatural for me for every other program or site that I use.

2 Likes