Searchable document of all menus and options

@gratkowski:

This will not be the same as an attached, searchable help doc, but you can download the PDF of the English manual and use PDF search (or the Table of Contents or Index) to find specifics.

@Derrek: What I was talking about is the searchable menus ins Dorico. A way to find the right menu item by typing part of it in the search part of the help menu.
Like the screenshots from above show:
Screenshot.png

I suspect the reason this doesn’t work for you, gratkowski, is that this is a special automatic macOS-provided feature, and it’s only available if the name of the Help menu matches what the operating system thinks it should be according to the current primary language. There’s nothing specific that Dorico is doing here; this is at the intersection of what the Qt framework we use does and the standard behaviour of the operating system itself.

So my question to the Dorico team: Is there a way to make the search through the menue items possible in English even having a german system (Catalina)? It would really help me as I’m still new to Dorico and it takes me sometimes forever to find the right menu item.
Thanks frank

Daniel, thanks for the reply.
Is there any workaround to make it visible?

So I assume Dorico changes the name of the help menue, when I change it’s language to English, right?
Mabye there is a way to overwrite this info or keeping the name related to the system language instead the Dorico language.
Just thinking…

The Help menu would have to be named Hilfe (I assume) even when the application is running in English. There’s no way for you to do this.

That’s a bummer. Any chance that Dorico will be able in the future to detect the system language and names that particular menue in the language needed to display it?

To be honest, I have no idea. I’ve made a note of it and we’ll try to take a look into this in the future, but I’m afraid it’s unlikely to be our highest priority for some time. Sorry!

Good news! I found a solution for the problem: There is a software called Tinker Tool System http://www.bresink.com
With this software you can tell Mac OS to start any Program in any language without changing the system language. I chose Dorico and set in to English and now I can see the search field in the help menu running Dorico in English and using the System in German.
Best Frank

Is there a way for Steinberg to affect Google searches, so that the latest version of help comes up? Often in my searches, Google points me to version 1 or 2. It’s not hard to change a “1” to “3” in the URL, but sometimes I don’t notice.

Unfortunately it’s not easy to influence Google in this way. What we plan to do is to show a banner at the top of a page from an older version of the documentation alerting you to the existence of a newer version, if one is known. This isn’t easy to do, however, so we can’t give any concrete timescale at this point.

Apparently, this is built-in in macOS Catalina

I’m even tempted to upgrade for this sole reason.

I may be wrong, but I don’t think that method will work for Dorico, however, since Dorico does not use macOS’s standard way of declaring its localisations, since it’s a Qt application.

The option with Tinker Tool system worked fine for me. German system but starting Dorico in english. The app is free to use 5 times …