Sebastian v1.04 release

Font updates are very fashionable at the moment, so here’s a slight revision for Sebastian. A few tweaks, some extra glyphs, and improvements. The arpeggio down arrow is much improved, you’ll be glad to hear.

“That’s enough fonts now, thanks.”

In the absence of any glaring howlers in the core notation, I don’t really have any plans to do more work on this font, having met the main objective.

6 Likes

It never ends with SmuFL… :smiling_imp:
Robert

2 Likes

Awesome work Ben :clap: :+1: Sebastian looks more refined, Bravo!

p.s: in case you need to make Sebastian font installers for both OS Mac and Win, drop me a line and will compile it for you :wink:

congratulations to @Robert_P for his excellent work on November2 which is undoubtedly a reference for musical fonts
You can see all the detail work when you look at the symbols closely.
Very good work.
An elegant and very fine font.

Thanks to Nordine, there is now a Sebastian Text version of the font, and installers for Mac and Windows!

1 Like

Ben, not sure if the installers will work for previous versions of Dorico, like Dorico 2… so only v3 and over I hope!

Just a note to say that we’re now on v1.07 of Sebastian.

There have been various tweaks and improvements, since 1.04, over a wide range of symbols, including: the wiggly arpeggio lines, figured bass symbols, breves, harmonics, etc, etc.

I’ve also made some improvements that mostly affect the appearance in Finale 27.2.

Hi, Ben. I recently found that when using Sebastian, the default slurs upon a flag8thUp behave differently to other fonts in Dorico. As is shown in the examples the start point will be much higher compared to others.
Also, if I just replace the flag8thUp symbol with that of Sebastian when bravura is applied, this won’t happen.
Is it a bug or a feature by design? Sebastian version is 1.08.
I’m pretty much a heavy user of Sebastian. It is one of my favourite. Hope that Sebastian will all the way getting better.

Quite possibly, yes. :grinning:

I’ll have a look at it, though I’m not entirely sure what could be causing it, as slurs aren’t font-based.

Thanks! Hope for that to be improved in a future version. :kissing_heart:

Interesting that the slurs for Sebastian and Scorlatti appear thicker in the middle than those for the other two.

There are settings in the font metadata for slur thickness. Sebastian does have them a bit thicker than Bravura. If you ticked the box to take on the font’s engraving options, then that could be it.

Try resetting your Engraving Options to your defaults, or factory.

1 Like

Well, it seems that Ben wanted to reply to Derrek but then replied to me XD

Yes, the reply is to you, as you’re the one with the query. Try resetting the Engraving Options.

Thanks, Ben! I just replaced the font files, but when I tried to replace the json file, the system warned me that I was replacing a newer version of the file, i.e. that the json file I just downloaded was an older version. Is this correct? Shouldn’t I keep the newer one?

No, don’t install anything. This is an old thread about a earlier version that someone has recently replied to.

The current version, installed by Dorico 5, is v1.08. Do not install an earlier version.
I have just updated the JSON file on github, but I’d leave it for now.

You may have to adjust the Engraving Options. I set Horizontal Offset from stem with flag to 1/4, whereas the default is 3/4.

I downloaded the latest version (v.1.08) from GitHub but it apparently includes an older version of the JSON file. I’m confused.

Do nothing. All will be well.

Hmm…I tried to do all that including resetting all my Dorico settings but it seems that it is not the problem
Let me re-drescribe the problem.
This is Maestro with default engraving options
Bravura, default
Bravura, default, but Sebastian’s flag
Sebastian, default
Sebastian, with Bravura’s default Engraving Options
Sebastian, with Maestro’s default Engraving Options.
It should be obvious that the start point of the slur is much farther to the flag vertically when Sebastian is applied.