second beam in crotchets and two wishes for the future

1. A little beaming problem:
    when I have crotchets divided into sixteenth and shorter notes, I would like the secondary beam to go through the whole crotchet. Dorico breaks the secondary beam after the first eight note. To alter this, I select the whole crotchet and make »beam together«. That works fine, but I would like to define this in Notation options/beam grouping. In »Secondary beam groups« I choose »Number of lines equal to the duration of the secondary group«, but that doesn’t help. When I write a crotchet with a dotted sixteenth, followed by a 32th, followed by two 32th, followed by a sixteenth, I have no means to let the second beam be drawn through the whole crotchet. When I make »beam together« the third beam is connected too, which I don’t like.
    See attachment. It is no big problem, but I would like some help - maybe I just overlooked an option for this?
    beam grouping.JPG
  2. Inconsistency in Master Page First / Master Page Default:
    I like to make a text frame as footer (for the page number) in the Master Page First and in the Master Page Default as well. In the M P First I can define the height quite easily, but in MP default the input field for »Height« is greyed out, instead you have to define the »Top« - quite difficult to get the correct value.

Key Commands for Playing Techniques.
For example: inserting Up Bow and Down Bow is very important and used very often. shift/p and typing upbow or downbow is not very fast; »loading» the mouse pointer with any technique symbol is nice, but you have to change the technique far to often. I made an Autohotkey Script, which works fine, but I would prefer to have a solution within Dorico.

These are my three wishes for Dorico. I love to work with this programm. It is the best notation software I ever got to know - and there were quite some …
Gratulation for the big update to Dorico pro 2 and thanks for the very helpful forum!

Margret

Dear Margret,
1.You can change the secondary beam break rhythmical value in the properties panel, but I think it is still something that you have to change on a local basis, I don’t recall any general option about it.

1. I think you need to change the constraints of your text frame. These are the little locks you can see on the top left corner of the left panel. Disable the top lock, you only need the bottom lock on. This should allow you to input a height value.

2. This up/down bow problem has already been talked about, and I am confident that the team know about it and that, in due time, they will offer a nice workflow for this kind of time consuming playing technique input.

You can edit the popover text in the Playing Technique dialog to something shorter. However, I still get a drop-down list of options as I type, even if it’s unique text, which actually gets in the way.

To Marc: many thanks for your quick reply. Both solutions work fine. The beaming procedure is still not very elegant, I hope some day there will be a general option.
Heigth of text frame: I never had dreamed of changing the constraints … first time I understand what they are for …
to benwiggy: I already edited the popover text, to ub (upbow) and db (downbow). Its a little bit quicker, but, as you say, the drop down list gets in the way. Let’s hope for a good workflow in the near future!
Thank you all!

Is this the same thing? in 3 / 8, I want to do this:

but I get this:

I can’t find any Notation Options to fix it.
Screen Shot 22.png
Screen Shot 23.png

You should get what you want if you type [3]/8 in the meter popover.

I have the same problem in 2/4. I’m notating triplets consisting of an 8th followed by four 16ths and Dorico insists on breaking the secondary beam between the 2nd and 3rd 16th. I don’t want this (and I don’t like being told by Dorico that I should want it) and I can’t find any Notation Options setting to avoid having to rebeam each and every one manually. Putting the numerator of the time signature in square brackets may work for 3 /8 but I don’t want the whole 2/4 bar beamed.

You can do this using the Beaming > Beam Together option, but I admit that doing this for each occasion is very inconvenient. Perhaps Dorico will include this as a notation option in the future; on the other hand, I find the notation somewhat confusing to look at–at least in isolation.

beams.png

Certainly we expect in future to provide options to allow you to tell Dorico what the beat grouping of a tuplet is, probably in a similar way to how you can override the beat grouping of a time signature, but I’m afraid that will not be implemented in the forthcoming update.