Second (or subsequent) flows in a different key to first flow?

When setting up a project, with the initial flow in one key, is it possible to set up the next (or any subsequent) flow in a different key ?

Can all of the flows set up be in different keys ? How is this managed by Layouts ?

Would each flow have to have its own layout ?

Hi Bill, each flow is an independent “chunk” of music - whatever you need it to be in the current project. Therefore, each flow can not only have a separate key signature, but different time signature, different combination of players… and all in the same layout.

You could imagine layouts as repositories for music - just tell the layout the flows and players you want to see, and the layout will display them. The interaction between players, layouts, and flows is quite flexible. Dorico even handles situations in part layouts where the player isn’t assigned to the flow, by showing tacets automatically.

Thank you Lillee, but I have looked in vain in all the videos to see if this is possible, and also how do I do it ? Do I keep switching between setup - to make the flows and adjust the layout for each flow - and then switch back to Write mode, to add such details as key, time signature and tempo ?

As I said, there is no information on this, and in all cases shown about setting up etc, the additional flows shown are all in the same key as the original.

(I have been quietly going round in circles about this problem, so a solution - even one which is obvious, which I should find but haven’t so far - would be most welcome.

You need to be in Setup mode to assign players to flows, but you can add, remove and reorder flows from the Project Info dialog in any mode (Cmd-I or Ctrl-I). Layout Options are also available in any mode - Cmd/Ctrl-Shift-L.

To edit the actual content of the flow, including key signatures, time signatures and so on, yes, you need to be in Write mode.

When you add a new flow, it should be assigned to all layouts (apart from custom score layouts) automatically. If you have e.g. a string quartet and want all 4 parts to show all flows, and show all flows in the full score as well, you shouldn’t need to do anything beyond:

• Adding the ensemble
  • Adding the flows
  • Switching to Write mode, and writing the music

Nothing stops you from making a short test project to experiment on. You will probably learn a lot faster by trying stuff out on a meaningless file than hesitating after watching the videos or reading the documentation. Read the docs and then try it out on your test file to see what happens.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply : I have been trying to see just how this rather sophisticated software actually works, and as there were no clues about this in any video, I felt it was probably a good idea to ask first.

Perhaps I am being rather cautious , but I did not want to go round in clrcles trying to find the answer.