Section dynamics and techniques

Hi,

I don’t know if this has been requested before, but I can’t probably use the right search words.

I would like sometimes to use a single dynamic mark or playing technique for a whole instrument section. For example, a bigger crescendo mark over and/or under a whole woodwind group, or a “con sord.” indication for the whole Violins section.

Something like this (Ligeti):

Or this (Donatoni):

Or (Berio):

This is often used to keep the score clean, when all the instruments do the same thing.

They idea would be to be able to have these notations grouped in the conductor score, and then expanded to each single part.

Paolo

I would think sempre cresc. in each part at the start would do it. One can apply the dynamic over the entire movement but make the extension line disappear in Properties.

@Derrek , I fear there is a misunderstanding. For ‘section’, I mean ‘instrument section’ and not ‘time section’. So, dynamics/techniques applied to a series of vertical entities, not to an horizontal range.

Paolo

1 Like

The first two examples being handwritten seems they were done in that consolidated manner to save time and space, which is less necessary in the realm computer-generated scores. The obvious benefit of having them on every staff is it will be prepared for all players automatically and preventing condensing issues.

That said, if it’s something you want, I think this can be done by adding it to all your staves as you normally would, then hide all the ones beneath in the inspector panel (hide element or hidden). Then for your primary marking on the top stave, if you wish to make it large, you could just use the scale property.

Some examples I just tried on a current score of mine:

then I hid and made the top one larger -

and for dynamics -

then hide all the ones on the lower staves:

when expanding to individual parts, I believe you would have to manually un-hide everything one at a time, which is why I would advise against this. I personally don’t think this is necessary in the modern era with modern computers and printing, it would seem to me your examples were mostly done like I said either due to handwriting or more non-digital engraving methods where such shortcuts would’ve saved a lot of time and money. I also guess it depends but if I were handed a score which such consolidated markings I would find it more unclear and ambiguous than helpful, IMHO.

2 Likes

Can the dynamics, playing techniques, et al., be hidden locally in the score, so that they would automatically appear in the parts layouts?

3 Likes

Yes, this is how I’ve been doing it as of now. But I was wondering if there wasn’t a way to make the single marking extensible to all the parts. Apparently not.

I see your reasoning about the usefulness (or lack of) of this method, but there might be a desire to respect the original manuscript. Apart for this, I see the above example to be much cleaner with the single section marking, not interfering with lyrics, trill, slurs.

Yes, it can! So, this is the most likely solution (or workaround): hide the markings in the full score, and let them be shown in the parts. Then add a fake big section marking, that will only be shown in the full score.

Paolo

3 Likes