Seeming inconsistency with clef after cue in transposing instrument

How should this work according to “the rules”? Something tells me that one of these situations is not handled properly by Dorico because they seem inconsistent. This is a baritone saxophone part (an octave transposing E-flat instrument).

1. What does the seemingly redundant clef at the end of this cue do here? Is this a rule, and if yes, shouldn’t there be a clef at the start of the cue too?

2. Why is there no redundant clef after these piano and alto cues? Should there be one here too? (After the piano, or after the alto, or both?)

I don’t know if this actually means anything, but I notice that in bar 359 the cue span ends exactly at the barline, while in in the First (musically later) case it extends to the first note of the alto cue in bar 378. Have you tried tweaking that?

@judddanby The piano cue ends right at the barline, just before the alto cue. You may have been misled by the poorly engraved tie in the alto cue.

The tie didn’t distract me, @maartenterhorst , thanks. I was just wondering about the precise placement of the end-of-cue-region/span dot. I seem to recall encountering cases where small adjustments made a difference. But it was just a wild “stab.”

Hope someone with greater insight helps you come up with a solution!

1 Like

It would be easier if we have an excerpt of the Dorico file to work with.

2 Likes

@Derrek How would that help in answering these engraving questions? (I.e. how should it be done according to the rules?)

@maartenterhorst , the treble clef in m. 378 is gratuitous (and a strange inconsistent behavior in your Dorico project), given that everything in the cues are in a higher register and therefore best notated in treble clef.

I (and perhaps @Derrek also?) jumped to trying to identify why it’s happening and to find a solution to hide the unnecessary clef.

Hope that offers any help, and that you find a solution!

1 Like

Hi @maartenterhorst
There are no rules, only options and settings.

This is not an engraving question. This is an unexpected behaviour. The Dorico excerpt is needed to investigate why, in that specific occasion, your project is not acting as expected/desired. I tried to reconstruct your example, but was not able to replicate your issue (no unwanted clef appearing in my project): so it is necessary to see what is happening in your specific project, or we can only guess.

Here some information about this (specifically point 4):

So implicitly you are answering my engraving question with ‘no clef should appear’. Thanks for this answer.

I kind of liked it, to signal that the cue has ended and your own (octave transposing) notes start again. There is a way to remove it: set another clef for the cue and then remove that other clef.