Seemingly simple feature still missing in V4 (really disappointed)

I imagine many users here are teachers, like me. I’ve been a Dorico User since v2 and I am amazed, and disappointed, that an important feature is STILL missing. Why on Earth can’t I hide a note or a rest? You created this feature for Sibelius 20 years ago and for teachers creating skeleton scores for exams and theory sheets where blank bars are required for students to write something in is just impossible. I saw a YouTube video and I think it was Eli Kratzberg showing a frankly ridiculous workaround for this. I am struggling to see how we can easily have fanned beams and other lesser-used options but a simple hide is seemingly impossible.

Are you really going to force me back to Sibelius to do these things?

Really hoping it will appear in v4.0.1.
Paul

Do you mean like this?

1 Like

@eddjcaine is right: removing rests is very quick and easy with the “remove rests” command, especially now that it is callable via the jump bar (give it the alias ‘rr’ and it’s even faster).

For notes, you can change the alpha channel, but I agree, it would be nicer to just have a similar toggle to “hide stems”.

Here’s how I hide notes. Easy enough. Hiding notes in Dorico - YouTube

“Remove Rests” has been available since… maybe version 2.2? I can’t remember.

1 Like

Ooh, I thought that was Eli Kratzberg - you sound very alike.

1 Like

Unbelievable - I have searched high and low in the manuals and help files and I dismissed it at I thought it suggested that only full bar rests could be hidden.

Anyway, Edd, thanks for your answer.

welcome :slight_smile: for the record - I both do and don’t agree about the whole “hiding” thing. I think it should be easy to hide any element of the score if you need to in engraving mode, however the very fact that you can hide objects in Sibelius and then smush them together leads to some awful scrappy files with hidden objects all over the place - the opposite to what using an engraving app should be about. i.e. you shouldn’t be able to use a “hidden” object - you should be able to “leave it out” having set (written) it though.

1 Like

I can see that for composers and arrangers/orchestrators, there would be little use for it. However, for creating teaching and examination materials, you need to be able to hide bits and pieces so students can write notation on the staves.

1 Like

Depending on what, precisely, you are trying to hide, it might just be easier to export normal scores to a program like Affinity Publisher and then just delete certain elements from it. Obviously, this is not idea, but it certainly can be done. Just depends on if you’d rather use Dorico and AP/Id together, or Sibelius alone.

It would be. nice to hide a voice - say alto or tenor (no offense). In Theory work sheets, it is very common to have soprano/bass shown, with the assignment to fill in the inner voices; or outer voices. It helps to have worked it all out (as the instructor) to make sure it can actually work; hiding voices after that becomes very useful. Yes, the workarounds are fine, but this is one thing I truly miss from Sibelius. Perhaps when users can create plug-ins this will be resolved.

Sorry you weren’t able to find the relevant page. In the latest manual at least, searching “hide rest” brings up the right page for hiding individual rests (by using Remove Rests) as the top result.

Completely agree. I mean if Dan has gone to the trouble of making a video then it must be something that is in demand and I can recall many posts about this very thing. The work arounds are less than satisfying, and it is somewhat of a mystery why you can’t simply hide a note and it’s dot. Somewhat baffling to be honest.

Doubtless it’s some nefarious plan on the part of the boffins to keep users from accomplishing their musical dreams.

3 Likes

I think that Finale has solved this “hiding issue” pretty neatly, by making the notes that are “invisible” simply translucent. Like this the Notes are still there in the score to see, but they won’t be printed. Certainly, I think a simple command, like “hide selection” would be quite simple to integrate…

1 Like

Surely this is quite easily achieved… simply highlight those voices and delete them… then they don’t appear on the worksheet!

You can use layouts to your advantage here; have two versions of a “choir reduction”, for instance, and then put all the proper voices into one, and then delete AT from the other, and only display the edited version on the worksheet.

Well no, that can be extremely problematic. The spacing will jump drastically.

Well, I’d think in the case of pedagogical exercises, you would change the spacing ratio to be more even, knowing that people are writing answers in and you need to leave space.

It’s just not that simple, because you can’t “freeze” the width of measures. I do understand the request, because once you’ve carefully laid out a worksheet with appropriate space for notes, you don’t want Dorico changing it. When you’ve put the “answers” in, that’s precisely how you know how much space the student will need to complete the exercise.

1 Like

True - I hadn’t thought about using multiple layouts. But again, it is an extra step. After all, if I can hit one button on the tv remote instead of two… :grinning:

Point taken - thanks!

1 Like