select only chord

a bit of a puzzle…
In the attachment below, the cursor is on the A.
What is the minimum key stroke sequence (using only the keyboard, no mouse), to select only the entire subsequent C chord and nothing else ?
Thx,
2019-01-27 13_06_33.png

will select a note in the chord.
A select more will select the rest of the chord.

thanks, but no, it selects everything subsequent to the chord in that voice. I just want that chord.
(sorry, My illustration was too simple… imagine more music following the chord)

Right arrow. Cmd/Ctrl+Shift+Left Arrow.
What it’s actually doing is selecting everything to the left within that bar, on that stave.

:slight_smile: … and imagine more music preceeding the chord

ok, new attachment-- I amend my puzzle:

From either the E to the left or the A from the right, how do you select only the 3 notes of the c-chord
(ie, without using the mouse, how would you change the c chord to a d minor chord ? )

Thanks.

If you want to change the chord, why do want to select ALL the notes at the same time? Select each one and then use +up/down arrow keys to change the pitch. +Arrowkeys to move chromatically.

As an aside, will select all the notes but will also select anything attached at that point, like slurs, dynamics, etc.

…which is fine if you’re just going to change the pitch using Alt-whatever, but can be less than ideal at other times.

Yep, the obvious time is when you want to repeat the whole chord. The current system is less than ideal.

Looking at the second example, it’s one of those ones that has never appeared to me to be a problem, because I’m always in front of a MIDI keyboard.

I’d hit Enter to invoke the caret, arrow back to get to the chord, hit L and play a Dm chord on my keyboard.

Even without a MIDI keyboard, it is still possible to get there without the mouse, though. Hit W to switch to the part layout, arrow left to the chord, Shift+Up to select the chord. Then W to switch back to the score. The reason for switching the part is that Shift+Up selects everything above the current stave, which you won’t want if this is an ensemble piece.

For the purposes of the puzzle given in this particular example (“without using the mouse, how would you change the c chord to a d minor chord ?”),

From the “E”:

right arrow
down arrow
Shift-up arrow (this will get the chord selected)
Option-up arrow (this will give you a d minor chord)

From the “A”:

left arrow
down arrow
down arrow
Shift-up arrow (this will get the chord selected)
Option-up arrow (this will give you a d minor chord)

As pianoleo explains, if there is any music written above the current stave, you could use his clever advice of switching to the part during the chord selection by using W.

shift up/dn… so that’s what “extend navigation” means.

I like to enter the notes first and then come back and slide the rhythms around just using the keyboard. I’m getting fast at it, but I always had to reach for the mouse when I hit a chord to lasso it.

Thanks

Clicking on the stem will select the whole chord. You don’t need to lasso the notes.

yes, true, but still a mouse operation.
thx.

I realized the original question was about a keyboard-only method, but IMO if you are forced to use the mouse it’s quicker to use one click, rather than a lasso operation that might accidentally select other things as well as the chord.

agreed. all the suggestions were helpful.
thx.