Selected vs. focused clip design...

So, as far as the documentation explains the reason focused clips exist is for functions that can only be done to 1 clip at a time, whereas a selection could apply a function to many, am I correct? So, instead of having focused clips at all, why not just allow those functions to work on selected clips only when 1 clip is selected, and grey them-out when more than 1 clip is selected? Just trying to understand this particular layer of complication…

Thanks,
Brian

See this as a visual hint rather than a complication.
eg. when you zoom somewhere, you could have a selected clip out of sight.

Thanks for the reply PG!
Interesting…would to know more, since I’m not sure I’m following you. To me, it’s clear the focused clip is presented as some kind of modified selected clip. Can you have a selected clips(s) and then a different clip focused at the same time? I seem to recall yes, but not in front of WL right now. Can you elaborate any…?

“Focused” and “selected” states are independent.
There could be a focused clip and no selected clip, or the inverse.

Most of the time, there is a focused clip, and in that case, it is also often selected. But all this is not mandatory.

Can someone help me out & suggest a use for having a clip selected & a different clip selected?

There are lots of possible functions applicable to more than one selected clips, but the one I use very very regularly, is to render only selected clips. To a certain audio format for instance, or just for previewing by a client.

Uh, sorry…I meant having a clip selected and a different one FOCUSED at the same time…

Uh, sorry…I meant having a clip selected and a different one FOCUSED at the same time…

Where do you see a problem to this? You might want to call a function on the focused clip, or on the selected clips.

Thanks PG, sorry for the delay…

The ‘problem’ is that I need to understand Wavelab better. This is, in part, because I’m looking at teaching it to beginning students, and have a particular approach & requirements that means dealing with both the surface operation and the underlying logic. This is a complex program, but one of several complex programs we (users, esp. professionals) need to deal with. Some things about WL terminology seem pretty foreign to me & some of my colleagues, and the lack of more complete documentation for a program of this size makes matters worse. Ultimately, if the complexity seems to hinder more than it helps, then we look elsewhere. I am not near this point with WL, but do need to see the logic behind the complexity with some aspects-- Focused vs. selected clips being one of them.

So, with that, any further input from people here? In your experiences, where I might look for having 1+ clips selected, and a different clip focused to be useful?

Thanks,
Brian

Hi,

If you edit a part (takes) or like to compare audio visually/listen
then select a clip or more and focused/zoom in on other clip etc

working with markers and selection/zoom is another way
working with Clip list, Markers list etc

try the “Navigator” to see the usefulness for overall zoom in Montage

the Montage is the workbench to ensemble audio to the final touch

regards S-EH

In your experiences, where I might look for having 1+ clips selected, and a different clip focused to be useful?

The idea is simply to be able to designate a focused clip, to perform a function on it, while preserving the selection on several clips.
Because of the way custom groups works, the “focused” clip concept is mandatory to designate a single clip.
Eg. one click selects all clips in the group, which is nice eg. to move them all. But in the same time, it can be useful to listen to a single “focused” clip. You don’t want to unselect the group only to select one clip and perform a function on it.

Ah OK, thanks! I haven’t looked at groups yet, so wouldn’t have put that together.