Selecting an area when exporting audio

Hi,

Sure this must be a simple answer but exhaustive searches throw no light on how to do this.

Often during a session I will want to output a particular section of the timeline - all the tracks. For instance I have two instances of a film trailer I am working on right now on the same timeline and I want to output the second version. In order to do this I have to go to the timeline, go to where it changes to a pencil and then draw out the blue selection area for the area I want to export.

As I draw this line there is no guide as to where it selects and it is only after I release the pencil can I see the selection which is inevitably inaccurate. There seems to be then no way of selecting the chosen area and changing it to where I want it to be apart from going to the top and using the pencil tool again to change the range.

I cannot believe this is the only way to select an area…if you know a better way to do this I would love to know about it. If it is in the manual send me the page number or a link to a video I need to watch…I am not afraid of work but I have hit a dead end on this.

While I am here is there anyone who really knows Nuendo who might be prepared to do a Teamviewer session with me working remotely to explain/go through a couple of things regarding the control room, gain structure and other bits. I will pay a modest fee. I am based in North Thailand and there is just no one to hang out with or compare notes with.

Thanks

Hi Alex,

In windows OS you can select an audio file or a video file and press the letter “P”. You can split a video or audio file on the session and select the one you want and then press “P”.

rb

Like rbesser said, you can select an event/video file and use the standard key command “p” to make your timline selection the same as your event/video file selection.

You can also set your start/end points of that selection via other key commands, though I forget what it’s called.

I highly recommend setting this ONCE per section you think you want to export, and then create and name a cycle marker for that range. Sometimes I have multiple versions of a show or commercial, and it’s super convenient to have those available. So I just take some time setting that up at the beginning of the import/edit, and then name them all.

Then, whenever you need to export something, you can simply do a batch export. Just select the cycle markers you have created that correspond to different parts of the timeline, select your source channels, naming scheme, destination etc and hit export. It’s an incredible timesaver, not to mention that you get the same range every single time. You definitely don’t want to export audio for someone else for example and have each export be slightly off because you manually selected somewhat inaccurately…

— Just to drive this point home: If you go back to this project after two months, when your client goes “You remember that project blablabla, can you give me those files again?” you can open up your project, and you just select batch export and look at your markers; which name corresponds to what your client wants? Ok, this one. Select. Select full mix output plus all the stems, check destination path and formats… enter… done. Instead of having to figure out naming and looking at the time line to see just where the video begins… maybe it’s a dissolve from black that’s hard to see, and then you deliver and the client goes “Doesn’t line up to file X you gave me earlier” or whatever…

Grab the manual and read up on this. It’s well worth the time, and it’s easy enough to understand.