Selecting Chord Symbols for Entire Staff

Hi,
New to Dorico, so this maybe was answered elsewhere.
Want to select all chord symbols (and only chord symbols!) on a single staff, and copy elsewhere.

The marquee will work, but difficult for long sections.
Ctrl/Shift- A is great for most things-- cleverly picks out only items like the first selected. But with chord symbols, won’t got to end of staff, no matter how many times I repeat Ctrl/Shift-A. Hangs up on certain bars. I changed the bar types, and still hangs-up.
I can send the file if needed.
Thought perhaps a bug with chord symbols only.

Thanks much,
John

Welcome John! One of the great things about Dorico is you can program custom keycommands, and those commands can have two steps. I use Ctrl+F for Filter, and then a modifier immediately after to filter for a specific type of object. I have Ctrl+F, Q set up to filter chord symbols as below:

I just Select All, or drag select, or select with the System Track, then hit Ctrl+F, Q and only the chord symbols are selected.

Yes, welcome to the forum @John_Chester – chord symbols in Dorico are global by default, which means that they’re treated a bit like system items (such as tempo marks and rehearsal marks) so they’re not included when you make staff-based selections.

If you’re selecting chord symbols to copy them to other staves, i.e. to show the same chords in the same bars but for different instruments, you don’t need to do this manually: you can instead change which staves show chord symbols.

If you want to copy a pattern of chord symbols to other rhythmic positions (ie other bars or other flows), then making a large selection and filtering for chord symbols as @FredGUnn suggests above is probably the best way.

Thank you guys! I just discovered your response— very late. Sorry.
Your Forum is great!

I’m taking time every day to get more familiar with Dorico, and am beginning to work with it. Great program, and I only see it getting better, as there are ears open to input!

But I’m finding my problem is unusually fundamental---- I am a true Luddite! My questions are things like (and I have looked!!): What is an expression map? Percussion map? Endpoint? (I found a Microsoft definition, but clearly not Dorico’s) Channel? Port? Etc. Etc.

I’ll read a Dorico definition of a term (ex. “Endpoint”), but eyes still glaze over.

I was going to suggest a new topic dealing with the super-fundamentals, but don’t want to add confusion if most grasp the basic terms and concepts.

The manual seems to assume a basic technical knowledge, which is fair. But think I need something even more basic.

Can you recommend something I might view/read? Is it MIDI I need to learn about? Is that the general subject area? Computer science for idiots? A new brain?

Thanks so much for the patience!

John Chester

Hi John,

All of these terms you mention deal with playback. As much as I love to hear my music before I have live musicians play it, and while I admire those that have put in the time to learn these things, so far I’ve chosen not to spend any time learning these programming techniques and only really use the notation/engraving functions of Dorico. I use NotePerformer for my sounds which requires no knowledge of maps or endpoints, or channels, ports, etc, etc. and offers a decent rendering of my scores–at least for my purposes.
Happy investigations and best of luck.

Thanks Lafin,

I use NotePerformer, and the brass samples are especially good. (reeds-- not so much) Have been supplementing NP with the samples that came with Dorico.

Have found samples very helpful, as long as listened-to with a dose of “skepticism.”

Thanks again,

John

1 Like

You’ll find most of these answers in the Discover Dorico session where John Barron explains how to create your own Playback template. Here?

Thanks Marc

Checking it out now.

John