Selecting Multiple Notes of the same Instrument within a Drum Set

Sorry for all the questions, but I’ve searched the forum and not found a solution. So when I imported a MIDI track, Dorico treated the kick drum and snare to be the same voice, which in most notation settings I see them treated as separate.

I know how to change this, but I want to know if there’s a simple way for me to select all the snare notes in the score, 'cause this is gonna be a hugeeee hassle otherwise. None of the filter settings I’ve seen seem to allow for this.

There are different options for presenting drum notation.

I appreciate the answer, Derrek, but again, I want the snare to not be grouped with the kick drum, but rather the top line with the hi-hats, etc. This is how I have almost always seen drum parts notated, why does Dorico do it differently?

If Dorico does that as default, fine, whatever; thankfully it allows you to override it. But I have a lot of snare hits, and lord knows no one would want to hunt down every single snare hit individually just to change its voice.

Upon looking further, I see that some consider it standard practice to do it as Dorico does automatically. But I’ve seen it done the way I’ve described many times over, and is shown in the MIT guide to writing drum notation (parts played by hand up-stem, parts played with feet down-stem). My major concern has been that my drummer would be confused by this formatting.

Regardless of the outcome, though, my topic question stands.

If you are using a percussion kit, you can edit the snare drum to be a stem-up voice to fall in line with the Hi-Hat/Ride. I have not imported MIDI, so I don’t really know if you Dorico adds it to a percussion kit.

If in Setup Mode the instrument is listed in Green in the players card, click on it, and edit the percussion kit. Select the snare drum, and below the staff is a up stem/down stem option. Ensure it is set to up stem.

Robby

Yoooo, that’s great, Robby, exactly what I wanted! If I ever needed to do what I asked in my topic question, though, is there a way beyond going to layout and temporarily changing it to a single grid view? Say I wanted to turn a bunch of snare hits into ghost notes, as an example.

That part, I don’t think so. But I am not 100%. While I do a lot with percussion/drum set notation, I do not do a lot with MIDI and MIDI export/import. I generally create everything from scratch, so my experience has been to add those options as I needed them.

Robby

From my experience, ghosted notes are generally the exception rather than the rule. I believe if you CMND click the notes that you wanted to be ghosted (you should be able to select multiple notes), in the properties panel (at the bottom), click option for ghosted notes, and it should change them to such.

Does that work for you? If you have a ton of Ghost notes, you’ll still have to click each one. But hopefully the CMND+click (CTL+Click on PC), will help save some time, and you can make one change with properties panel.

Robby

Fair, but let me use another example that’s more practical. Say I imported a MIDI track in which the original drum data did not conform to General MIDI, and as a result what should be the hi-hats comes out as crash cymbals (bet the drummer would love that). (Some complex drum sample libraries might have a hi-hat tip where it normally goes, and another “slot” dedicated to the shank). In that case I would want to quickly select all those crash cymbal notes and be able to shift them to the hi-hat zone.

Is going into single grid the most efficient way to do that?

Thanks for all of your input, it’s been a big help. : )

No. Go back to Setup mode, edit the kit, select the crash cymbal instrument and use the Change Instrument button at the bottom of the dialog (it’s a left arrow on top of a right arrow).

1 Like

Yeah, definitely leaving my area of expertise. I just tried to use Logic Pro X and export a MIDI file of a drum set part I created real quickly. It came out as a treble clef instrument. So for right now, I am unable to help any more. I hope someone else is able to answer your questions.

Robby