Selection changes happening on undo/redo even though I have this preference unchecked?

Hi, not sure if this is a bug or if I’m missing something. But I’ve noticed that although currently I would like to not have undo/redo follow my selection changes, even when I uncheck this in the preferences, it’s definitely still doing it. I’ve also tried checking and unchecking it again, restarting, etc. Still no change in behavior either way…

Screen Shot 2023-04-20 at 1.36.35 AM

Same here

1 Like

Bump - wondering if @ Team Dorico has seen this question? It’s still happening for me a week onward…

Hi @wing, no need to bump threads. In fact, it’s frowned upon. There are a few Steinberg staff who read all posts here and you can bet they’ll have seen yours. Someone will get back to you when they can. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Apologies - I’m spoiled by how fast and great they usually are at responding - within hours of same-day most of the time! So since it’s been 5 days I was wondering if maybe it just got lost in the mix is all. Noted for the future.

1 Like

It does appear that this preference is not currently hooked up. It used to be, but I guess some refactoring at some point has caused it to become disconnected. I’ve made a note of it, and I’ll investigate further what changes have led us to this point when I get a chance.

2 Likes

Ok, thanks for letting me know!

Not meaning to bump a thread but wondering about this issue – noticing it is still broken in the current 5.1 update (and I’m in fact on a totally new computer since the original post). Any new status? Or am I the only one experiencing this?

I’m not on my computer at the moment but if it still happening then the team mustn’t have had time to squeeze this fix in to 5.1.

We did fix the problem that we found, so something else might be going on. Please provide some steps required to reproduce the issue you’re experiencing, and we’ll look into it further.

Oh, sure, I mean I simply have my menu settings like so, with follow selections unchecked:

However I’ve tested with it checked and unchecked. Then I select random notes several times and hit undo. In both cases the behavior is the same, so it appears to not be working for me. Let me know if there’s anything else I can explain, thank you!

Hi, wondering if it would be helpful for me to provide a diagnostic report or project file? I’m not sure why with that preference unchecked selection changes are still happening with undo/redo.

Selection changes will always happen when you undo and redo, because changes of selection are edits in their own right. If you’re expecting this preference to stop Dorico from changing the selection when you undo and redo, you’ve got completely the wrong end of the stick.

Here “Follow” means scroll the score to the location of the last edit (or selection change). This switch doesn’t exclude selection actions from the Undo stack, if that’s what you were expecting.

1 Like

Oh. The menu preference is a weird sentence nonetheless. I took it to mean that the undo/redo list follows selection changes. Maybe it could say ‘screen follows selection changes’ to be more clear.

I thought I read somewhere after searching forums that was the solution added for us folks who do not like selection added to the undo/redo stack. I understand people’s argument for it, but I for one rarely do super complex selections, not enough to justify having to undo dozens of times just to get back to one idea I previously had.

In a perfect world, there could be a little toggle button on the toolbar - ‘add selections to undo/redo.’ That way users could choose. I would have it off most times, but if I know I’m about to do a complex selection task, then I could turn it on to add every selection to the stack just in case something happens.

Thanks for the clarification!