Selective playback on repeats?

I’m pretty sure this isn’t possible currently, but I’m wondering if it’s being considered.

For strophic orchestrations, it’s common to have certain measures (in brass or winds, for example) marked “Play 1st time only” or “Play 2nd time only.” Other parts might be marked “Play both times.”

Short of creating a fully-realized score, is there a way to reflect this in playback (I assume not). If not, is it a possibility for the future?

Thanks!

Not currently, but it’s something we want to address in a future version.

I’d love to have this - very useful for jazz charts!

Hoped this would be included in Dorico 3 - but no. Any idea when we can expect this?

No, I’m afraid I can’t give you any indication at this stage.

+1 for this feature. For Jazz charts.

Me too, for both jazz and concert band writing.

The topic is too complex and there are no standard texts.
Dorico would have to invent his own semantics, which are not based on any general basis.
I would have it with piano playing as well. 2th repetition RH an octave higher, or LH an octave lower (but chords play on the old position), or 2ts times ff or pp…
Sometimes it is better to rewrite the repetition if the written one is to match the one played.

It’s “standard” enough to be in Gould (“Variation in repeat sections”, pages 235-236). It has been in Sibelius since at least version 4, so it’s not a new idea so far as the Dorico developers are concerned!

I would have it with piano playing as well. 2th repetition RH an octave higher, or LH an octave lower (but chords play on the old position), or 2ts times ff or pp…

No problem, if you make 8va lines and dynamics play back selectively. (But making 8va lines selective might be a technical problem in Dorico, since they are actually a sort of clef…)

Sometimes it is better to rewrite the repetition if the written one is to match the one played.

I agree, music scores and Sudoku puzzles are both OK, but it doesn’t help if you confuse one with the other :slight_smile:

Yes. I wish this were a higher priority for Dorico than it appears to be. It’s one of a number of missing features that make me hesitant to fully switch from Sibelius. That number continues to decrease, but I imagine it’s going to take at least another year or two.

1 Like