SEND from anywhere in Audio Insert chain?

Hi,
How do I send a signal from a specific point in my Audio Insert chain to my FX channel?

I may not being thinking this through correctly, but I think your desired outcome is achievable a different way. Lets say you have a delay and then a distortion as your inserts, and you want to send the signal BEFORE being distorted to a reverb send. Couldn’t you just instead put the distortion on the send (or a different send), instead of the track itself? Wouldn’t that be the same thing? So then you would have a pre-distorted reverb, but then also getting the distortion from a send?

The main channel has a reverb and the FX channel has a delay. I want to send the dry signal to the FX channel delay before it reaches the reverb. I don’t want the delay reverb’ed

You can only send from pre-fader or post-fader.(Pre/Post Fader Sends)

If you don’t need to apply dynamic effects after the reverb, you can insert the reverb post-fader and send it to the delay from the pre-fader.

Or you can take a traditional route, set up both reverb and delay on FX channels then send to both. This is how you mix on real desks.

2 Likes

Adding another arrow to the quiver. Depending on the material:

• Either render the track + its insert reverb to a new track and then send it elsewhere.
  • If you don’t want to commit and prefer to tweak the reverb up to the last moment, Output the track to a new Group, then drag your reverb from the original track to the new group. Send from the original track to the delay.

You’ll have to do it this way or another, because sending from a specific point after each insert is not possible in Cubase, just Pre/Post Fader as all fellow posters have already point out.

Hi,

you could try it by creating an unconnected output channel or an unconnected output channel pair.

Add an output channel pair (Studio - Audio Connections - Add bus), pick ‘not connected’ at the audio device entry and name it as you please.

Let’s say that new output channel pair you just created is named ‘test’.

Create an audio channel and place your audio on it. Set the output of this channel to ‘test’.
From this channel you feed your FX channel delay.

Create another audio channel and set the input of this one to ‘test’. Place the insert with the reverb on this channel and set it to monitor the input. The output of this 2nd audio channel goes to the stereo outs as usual.

Now the dry signal feeds your delay on the FX track and your reverb/wet track runs independent and can be adjusted via the ‘test’ output channel(s).

Hope this makes sense.

Blue Cat Audio Connector can do that. Insert one “sender” instance anywhere in your insert chain, insert the “receiver “ in the first slot of your FX channel. But yeah, not natively in Cubase.

1 Like

That could be a great way to do it in practice, but it’s not a good idea since it has latency.
By latency I mean that the receiver will output audio a few milliseconds later than what goes into the transmitter.

Of course it introduces latency, but I am pretty confident that blue cat have considered that problem and report the latency properly to the host. I admit though that i don’t own the product so I only know from reading about it. But Blue Cat are some quite clever chaps…

The problem isn’t with reporting latency or not… Plugins like this don’t add latency, so there is no need to report latency for delay compensation to work properly, this isn’t the same thing at all.
Here the audio is received with a delay which isn’t appropriate for mixing, since the output “receiver” signal won’t be lined up with the input “sender” signal anymore. This has nothing to do with reporting latency to the host.

Well apparently they quote :

With precise buffering control, you can achieve the lowest possible latencies : down to 0 samples, when used in a single application.

This has to be verified with a null test, I don’t own the plugin either :thinking:

It’s not exactly what you asked, but maybe of help if you haven’t already pre- and post-fader plugins in your insert chain.
You can have your pre-fader inserts before the pre-fader sends and after them your post-fader inserts.

Like in the image the delay send happens before the pitch shift insert, or if you switch it to post-fader, it’s after the pitch shift. You can (at least in pro) move the green line that sets the fader position.

Oh, sorry. I thought I read through all of the thread, but somebody already suggested that.
In your case when only delay and reverb is involved, it would probably work.

Although, common practise would be to put both reverb and delay on sends anyway, I think.

Blue Cat Audio Connector is what I want. Pity it’s not natively available like on so many other DAWs…