Send Midi Channels to other Virtual Instrument Tracks

I have a virtual instrument that has 16 midi channel output and I would like to send each channel to another virtual instrument track.
I can do it in Reaper and Studio One easily but I can’t work out Cubase Elements 10.
S1-BiabVST-Midi-Send.gif
Reaper-BiabVST-Midi-Send.gif

Usually the midi outputs of a vst-instrument in cubase are available in the midi-input selection list of vst tracks/midi tracks. To decide to which midi channel a track “listens” will need the input transformer (filter out all channels that are not meant to control the respective track). Presets are available for that purpose in the input transformer. If you dont use the input transformer a vst-track or midi track will record/process all 16 midi channels as input.
Cheers, Ernst

Thanks, can you post a pic of the “input transformer” and how you get to it in Elements.

Cubase 10 Elements

oh sorry, I am not familiar with the restrictions of Cubase Elsements compared to the pro version.

Can you configure the inspector elements?

I don’t think they believe in making it easy :frowning:
It takes 2 secs in Reaper so after spending hours on it I used the free Kushview Element.
If anyone knows another way please let me know.

What exactly are you saying doesn’t work? It should be as simple as: Create an instrument track, then, in the inspector, choose BIAB as the midi input and choose the desired MIDI channel.

Well, GlennO: when defining a midi chanel on a midi track it only determines the channel to whih the output is sent. If someone wants to achieve to selectively record midi events that are coming in from a definied chanel, it is indeed somehow carzy that we have to use the input transformer to filter out all other events.

He’s not using midi tracks. He’s using instrument tracks. I guess it never would have occurred to me to try to filter or transform the midi in the DAW. That could work I suppose, but the simpler way to do this is to set the MIDI Receive channel in the settings inside of EZDrummer.

In any case, as you say, midi channel filtering the way cbuser did it in Studio One is simple to do in Cubase Pro, but the input transformer seems to be one of the features that has been excluded in Cubase Elements.

I tried it with Midi Channel Filter J’s MIDI tools (freeware) | J's stuff
that will only let through the set channel
I insert as an instrument track with ChannelFilter and input set to Band in a Box track
I set the ChannelFilter to ch10 and set the track output to ch10
I set the Ezdrummer input to the channel filter track
I do the same with another ChannelFilter track for Ezkeys set to ch3

Results:
both instruments are getting ch10 and ch3 so it’s a mess.

With all due respect, it seems silly to spend all that money on EZDrummer, EZKeys, and BIAB, and then try to use them in Cubase Elements. For what you’re doing, you should be using Cubase Pro. How much time have you spent unsuccessfully trying to do something in Elements that is trivial to accomplish in Cubase Pro?

Also, it’s not clear why you’re not doing this the obvious way and simply setting the midi receive channel on the instrument.

“Also, it’s not clear why you’re not doing this the obvious way and simply setting the midi receive channel on the instrument.”
I don’t use Cubase I use Reaper it was $60 and does everything easily and I can script anything up to do what it can’t.
I use Cubase only to test things in for other users as I’m doing now as not all users can afford Pro so I need to work out a way with Elements.
If you could upload some pics with “simply setting the midi receive channel on the instrument” that would be very helpful,
Thanks.

Well, we are back to a general point: If a differnent DAW does what they need, why dont they simply use that other daw?

The type of quesiton: “I do this … in Reaper, Rooper, Rooster, studio 7, … how can I do it in Cubase…?” in most cases simply misses the point. Different DAWs have differen concepts. And we are free to chose what to use.

Cheers, Ernst

I have a virtual instrument that has 16 midi channel output and I would like to send each channel to another virtual instrument track.

That’s all I’m asking, a simple thing I would like to do but I’ve got no help at all.

For what you’re doing, you should be using Cubase Pro. How much time have you spent unsuccessfully trying to do something in Elements that is trivial to accomplish in Cubase Pro?

That don’t help every other user on the planet that has Cubase Elements and wants to use the Biab vst or similar.
Please guys I just need some pics or a step by step guide, That’s all I’m asking.
I should not have to spend days on it trying to find a way, it’s really just a simple thing that a DAW should do, there has to be a way to do it, I just thought you guys here would know.

I made a flow so you can see how it’s hooked up.

This was a response for a user wanting to use the Biab VST in Reaper.
That’s all I need to show for Cubase Elements users.
BiabVST-Reaper-Piano.gif

This is in BandLab (now free)

That’s all I need to do in Elements, there must be some way, I just thought you guys would know as you have been using it for years…

I got it to work in Ardour, will have another go at Cubase Elements as there must be a way :frowning:
Ardour Video
BiabVST-Ardour-Send-Midi.gif

I give up, the only way I found to send the right midi channel to the right instruments is use the free Kushview Element.
Watch Video
BiabVST-Cubase-Elements-Send-Midi.gif