Separate channel for Windows audio

This might not be a feature request for Cubase. I also post it in Steinberg Hardware UR-series.

I have a UR-RT4 interface, and I would like to have a separate channel for the “general” Windows audio.

When Cubase is running there is no way to control the volume of an external application (webbrowser, Spotify),
it can only be controlled in the application it self. Also there is no way to record the audio from the external
application into Cubase.

What I was thinking of is an addition to the driver for the UR-RT4 interface so that an extra channel was added which would contain the audio of ANY other application running in the Windows system. That would be kind of a “general” Windows audio channel. Within Cubase this channel could appear as another “hardware channel” and its volume could be regulated with a fader, just like the other channels.

This was the case of my old EMU 1820 interface and its virtual mixer. Here there was a separate channel for
Windows audio (called “wave”), this channel could be routed to one of 32 ASIO channels, very flexible. See screenshot.

As it is now, if I want to record some audio from e.g. YouTube, I cannot do this within Cubase.

I have to use e.g. Audacity to record and store to a file, which I then can import into Cubase. Not very practical.

Best wishes

Anders Liljeborg

Cubase 12.0.20
UR-RT4

Device name DESKTOP-VIDJOHU
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor 3.70 GHz
Installed RAM 32,0 GB
Device ID 739377B4-367D-4E62-B1EB-6770F08E6F18
Product ID 00378-40000-00001-AA316
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

Edition Windows 10 Pro Education
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎2021-‎12-‎19
OS build 19044.1645
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4170.0

You can activate Loopback in the UR-RT4, which accomplishes this.

Thank you very much for the quick reply.
I did not realize that this is the function of “Loopback”.

Best wishes
Anders