Separate Clip FX Issue

Issue
I’m working on an LP where a number of songs have splices separating sections so they can be treated differently from the track as a whole. During playback the audio plays seamlessly over the cut marks while both entering the section with a new plug-in added to the clip FX and exiting. However, when rendering a small gap of silence occurs at each splice.

Unsuccessful Troubleshooting

• Bounce the song’s plug-in processing offline via the superclip function
  • Add the unique plug-in addressing a particular section to all other clips in the song with the mix/blend at 0%, theoretically maintaining the same plug-in CPU demand from clip to clip (I thought this would work for sure!)
  • Abandon clip separation approach, change insert from standard insert to wet/dry blend, automate envelope accordingly (the result of this may warrant a thread of its own - clean audio during playback, but when rendering sections where the blend wasn’t either completely dry or completely wet, rather than playing back the blend in perfect sync, it’s as if the delay compensation of the dry vs. wet was off and as a result it played back flamming against each other)
  • Downloaded and installed the latest version of Soothe 2 as this was one of the plug-ins in use

System Info

• I’m using WaveLab 10.0.4. I downloaded the latest version today, but am admittedly weary of doing the update mid-project.
  • Mac OS 10.15.7

Any suggestions on what may be going on, or if there is a better approach to section by section processing would be appreciated!

If you try with other plugins, does this happens (eg. Steinberg plugins?)

It sounds as if one of your plugins has a latency reporting issue.

I recommend setting up and rendering the full song with each of the setups you intend to use. If your setup includes adding plugins in one part of the song and leaving them out in others, it will not be enough to simply bypass the inactive plugins when rendering. Instead, you will need to remove them from your chain to make the latency calculations work.

Then create a superclip of the montage of processed bounces. If latency compensation is the issue, you may find that you have to slip the audio a bit to make it work. If this is the case, it may be better to open a second stereo track below your target track, and align the samples of the audio, and then copy those sections from track to track-- that way you only have to fool with the alignment once.

Once you’ve created a superclip with edits that work, you can then you can change the EQ setup on the source clip, re-render and do a file replacement operation in the superclip. I’ve setup shortcuts in my preferences to select all clips from a given file, and a second shortcut to replace all selected clips. In this way I can quickly swap out all instances of a given audio file with an updated version.

If your aim is to make a gradient effect from one setup to the other and crossfade between, you will need to render the song with both setups, align the processed WAVs on two tracks, and then render the delayed wav from the edges of the leading wav and use the delay compensated file to mix with the leading version. You will then have seamless crossfades between the two files.

good luck!