Separate midi part by pitch without cloning VSTi?

Hi there,
perhaps anyone can help me - when separating midi parts by pitch in Cubase 11, every new generated track will load a copy of the used initial VSTi. In previous Cubase versions, there was an option to avoid that, but I can’t find it anymore - any clues in V11?

THX in Advance :slight_smile:

Edit/Preferences/MIDI

MIDI Preferences

There’s a drop down to change the default behavior upon the introduction of new MIDI MIDI tracks.

Also be aware that Instrument tracks are a little different from MIDI tracks. They include an end-point VSTi.

1 Like

Thx for the fast reply! :slight_smile:
Yes - that’s exactly how it worked before:

Unfortunately, it doesn’t work as expected - I generally never use rack VSTi - instead track instruments and for this tracks splitting worked in C10.5 (and before) by generating midi tracks (and no copies of the track VSTis).
I actually figured out a “workaround” by coping the midi part in an empty midi track and split it there - not the best solution, but it works.
Perhaps I am missing something :slight_smile:

Anyway, thanks for the help! :+1:

Ah!

You could use a Project Logic editor and bind a key to the operation. Automate the process of moving or copying the parts on an instrument track to a MIDI track so it only takes a key combo, or a mouse selection in the macro menu.

I’m not sitting at Cubase right now so I can’t actually build this and share it and snap shots right now, but it’d be pretty basic.

First you’d click the instrument track.

Then play a macro that:

1. adds a new MIDI track just below the selected track.
    1b. Optionally, you can have it name the new track something useful.
  2. Sets the cursor at the beginning of the project.
  3. Selects all the events in the selected track.
  4. Copies (or cuts if preferred) the selected events.
  5. Selects the next track down.
  6. Paste at cursor.

There are probably other ways to do it as well using stuff in the MIDI menu.

1 Like

Thanks for the help! The macro works perfect! :slight_smile: