From the need
Set me free
From the weed
Set me free
from the greed
Set me free
From the weed

Had a listen earlier this 'arv.

To be honest, not my favourite Stragglers tune, but certainly well constructed.

As I just wrote in another thread, drums are very personal, but I would
like to hear this tune with the snare pattern reversed, the straight
2/4 in the verses and 4/4 in the choruses. Juz wonderin’.

My other comment is that (with the exception of the last chorus)
the vocals lag behind the beat. Maybe it was a breathing issue
or something? For me, it was a bit obvious.

Not my favourite either! :laughing: But it was wriitten and ready to be sung and recorded so… I did. :slight_smile:

As I just wrote in another thread, drums are very personal, but I would
like to hear this tune with the snare pattern reversed, the straight
2/4 in the verses and 4/4 in the choruses. Juz wonderin’.

I did have it the other way for a while actually, but I really felt like it worked better this way to be honest. Odd as it may seem. In fact i tried various combinations - had the 4/4 snare going throughout the song at one stage, and then tried on chorus’s only, and then swapped it to the verses with 2/4 snare on the chorus and well, for me it just seemed to sit better that way. I’ll probably change my mind tomorrow! :smiley:

My other comment is that (with the exception of the last chorus)
the vocals lag behind the beat. Maybe it was a breathing issue
or something? For me, it was a bit obvious.

Hmmm… that’s interesting, particularly given that I already spent time nudging and shifting the vocals around :confused: I noticed the way I was phrasing the chorus, certain parts were very much behind the beat, though it didn’t actually sound wrong to me as such, - it had a certain feel that seemed to work. But I later decided to shift things anyway as I thought for this style of tune the vocal probably should be accented and tight on the grid. Looks like I might have to revisit that! Though I’m now also wondering if this is the most recent mix?? It wouldn’t be the first time that I’ve left an earlier mix up and forgotten to update it! :laughing:

Cheers Jet. :sunglasses:

As to the drums, fair enough good sir.
Shouldn’t be too hard to nail those vocals. :wink:

“psychotropic fag” that made me chuckle.
I think its a cool song, its a bit like garage rock, not quite as much grunge to it. its a good arrangement and I generally like the mix and I liked where the snare was. there were spots it sounds as though the vocal was trying to catch up and as a personal opinion I might have did some producing of the vocal, its a bit dry in places but thats just me.
really its a good song, if you did do some tweaking I’d be curious as to what you’d do.

Yeah, it was the way the 4/4 snare sat against the rhythm of the verse vocal - seemed to work better.

Shouldn’t be too hard to nail those vocals. > :wink:

Hopefully sorted in this latest mix!

:smiley:

I think its a cool song, its a bit like garage rock, not quite as much grunge to it. its a good arrangement and I generally like the mix and I liked where the snare was. there were spots it sounds as though the vocal was trying to catch up and as a personal opinion I might have did some producing of the vocal, its a bit dry in places but thats just me. really its a good song, if you did do some tweaking I’d be curious as to what you’d do.

In this new mix I’ve tightened up the vocal for starters! I’ve also added more ‘dirt’ - grunged up the bass and organ, and also added a little more dirty guitar on latter choruses. There’s also a number of other tweaks here and there as well - mostly EQ adjustments etc.

Thanks for listening and commenting!

:sunglasses:

Hiya Ian. What drums are these? :laughing: I kid :slight_smile:

Yeah, song rocks along nicely. Is this part of the Stragglers set when you gig? That bit at 2:11, I’d make more use of the bass there to support the drums. Just a personal choice though, part works as it is :sunglasses:

Cheers
Phil

Is this part of the Stragglers set when you gig?

Not yet! :smiley:

That bit at 2:11, I’d make more use of the bass there to support the drums. Just a personal choice though, part works as it is > :sunglasses: >

Good point… I’ve met you half way and brought the busy bass back in on the latter half of that verse. Ta! :sunglasses:

Hi Ian

This one doesn’t sound as tight as the bands more recent output. Perhaps because you haven’t performed it live yet. I’m affraid to mention the snare sound. :wink:

Hi ian,

Good song. I didn’t hear the first mix, but this sounds good to me.
Shayne plays a great bass line! :sunglasses:

Cheers,
Wim

This one doesn’t sound as tight as the bands more recent output. Perhaps because you haven’t performed it live yet.

More to do with editing actually. I pretty much always edit and tweak the performance…clearly not quite enough this time! :smiley:

Shayne plays a great bass line!

He’ll appreciate hearing that! :smiley:

Cheers Wim, Dave. :sunglasses:

I’ll re-visited the mix soon, and who knows maybe try a different snare as well! :stuck_out_tongue: