Set Measure/Beat at Now

I am a very new Cubase user, although I used other DAWs for over twenty years. I’m looking for a feature that I have used before in other DAWs, where I can open set the cursor at a particular point in an audio track, and then open a dialogue box and set the Measure/Beat to that point. I’ve been doing some research and am aware of the Warp tool, but I don’t think it’s quite what I’m looking for.

Cubase does have the the “Set timecode at cursor position” dialogue, which would be exactly what I want, if only you could also use it to set measure:beat instead of just timecode.

In Logic, this is the Synchronization dialogue window and in Cakewalk, it’s the “Set Measure/Beat at now” dialogue. Is there a similar function in Cubase.? Again, I am aware of the Warp tool, but it’s not quite what I am looking for, if I understand it correctly from the several YouTube tutorials I’ve watched. I rather not have to manually drag a bunch of tempo points around with a mouse.

Thanks very much for any insight.

Hi and welcome to the forum,

What do you want to do, please?

Thank you, Martin.

I want to build tempo maps. In Cakewalk, I can do this very quickly by moving the cursor through the hitpoints with key commands and then opening the “Set Measure/beat at cursor” when I get to the transient that I want to be the start of the next measure. I’d like to be able to do it the same way in Cubase.

I’m sure I will get used to the Warp tool if that’s the only way to do it in Cubase, but where I am right now (total noob), I’m not crazy about it. I wish there was a “Set timecode at cursor position” dialogue for M:B:T.

Hi,

The Tempo Map is something totally different from the Warp Tool. By the Tempo Map, you change the tempo and keep the original sound untouched. By the Warp Tool, you change the speed of the audio while keeping the Tempo.

If you want to change the Tempo then the Process Tempo Dialog is the one you are searching for.

Errr… Audio Warp and Free Warp change audio to fit the grid. Time Warp changes the grid to fit the audio (or video). So, both has the word Warp in it.

AFAIK there is no way to enter positions via the keyboard. In Cubase this is done graphically with the mouse:

• activate Tempo track
  • set your audio track to “Linear”
    Unbenannt
  • create hitpoints in the Audio editor
  • close the Audio Editor back to the Project window and select the tool “Warp Grid (musical events follow)”
    grafik
  • now you can use the key commands to move through the events or the hitpoints and adjust the musical grid to these positions; turn on the Snap functionality and make sure it is set to “Events & Cursor”

Honestly, I think this is much faster than typing in positions on the keyboard.

2 Likes

Hi,

Sorry, you are right.

Thank you, Johnny. I think is what I was looking for.