Set Midi I/O range?

Hi,

I’ve posted about this before - Newbie - Patch number mystery between controller and VST - Cubase - Steinberg Forums - but now think I may have asked the wrong question.

It looks like my controller is using the range of 0 - 127 for program changes. I suspect that Cubase might be set to 1 - 128. The result being that if I select program 11 on the controller - I will get program 12 on anything running in Cubase.

Is there a way to confirm this? Thanks for reading!

Cheers,
Spencer.

There is a MIDI insert called MIDI Monitor that allows you to see all the MIDI data being sent to the MIDI track/VSTi.
HTH
J.L.
EDIT: You should be able to use the Input transformer to add/subtract one from the program number to make it work. I am not at home so can’t check but there may even be a preset there just for this. I know I remember reading about this somewhere. It could have been an option in my MIDI controller (Axiom Pro).

Aha, it’s really a display ‘feature’. The internal midi codes are always send in the range 0-127, but some keyboards and some DAWs choose to display this range as 1-128 (for human reasons really, because we generally start counting from 1 rather than zero). This means that, yes, you can try subracting or adding 1, but you may have problems with either the first or the last program number in the range. One could also say that it’s due to the lack of international standards on how to display the midi number of a program change…

I guess for your controller, if it displays a zero then it’ll go from 0-127 and if it displays a 128 then it goes from 1-128. Sound like it’s displaying 0-127, which is being displayed as 1-128 inside Cubase.

Mike.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the thoughts.

I used an external midi monitor and the controller is sending the right numbers - so it must be the display ‘feature’. Rather than getting CA6 to add or subtract in the filter: is there a way to just get it to show the right number?

I’ve tried asking Steinberg. They don’t have email support outside EU/US/UK and you have to go through the local distributor - in my case Hong Kong. This has proved to be a useless process. Steinberg should be ashamed of themselves for making it so difficult to get help. Sorry for the rant :slight_smile:

Thanks again for the help.

Cheers,
Spencer.

Hello,

I am having the same issue when using my Kurzweil PC3X with Cubase 6.5.

Did anyone come up with a solution to change the range/display to 0 - 127 instead of 1 - 128?

Thanks.

I have setup my PC3X in the Device Manager of Cubase 6.5 and everything works well except for one issue.

If I change the program for the PC3X within Cubase it will change on the PC3X, however, when I manually change the PC3X program on the keyboard itself, and then play the song in Cubase, the Program does not change back to what I had previously selected within Cubase.

How do I set this up so that the programs will change to what I had previously selected when I play a song in Cubase?

Thanks.

In answer to the last post, the program changes you put into the inspector (panel on the left) are only transmitted a) when you change them, and b) once (and once only!) when you open the project. This is a pita of course, and it wasn’t always like that, but that’s the way it is now.

In order to get Cubase to ‘chase’ the program change(s) you have to put them into a midi part.

There are a few ways of doing this, manually for example, or recording the program change from your keyboard (I tend to do this, then rename the part and keep only the program change inside that part).

You can also do something called ‘merge in loop’. I’ve never used it but I think it takes the inspector program change and puts it into a midi part… I’ll leave the detail on that one to the manual or someone else.

Once you have program changes (and bank selection changes) inside midi parts then they will be chased throughout the song (assuming you have chase on in the preferences) each time you relocate or press stop, and probably some other times too.

This can be both a blessing and a curse, because if you’re trying to audition a new sound and you’ve already got a program change in a midi part then it’ll keep resetting when you stop/rewind etc… Swings and roundabouts.

Mike.