Set rest position globally, or key command

A certain choral publisher requests that floating 8th rests in upper voices be placed on the top space of the staff when possible.

In the example below, both rests are using default positioning. I can adjust the first rest by selecting it and setting “Rest pos” to 2 in the properties panel.

Could you give consideration to adding a setting for “global fixed positioning for floating rests” in this scenario?

Secondarily, is there a way I can expose this rest position property to a key command?
rest position.png

You could graft this into your keycommands_en.json (substituting § for whatever shortcut you want).

{
				"UI.InvokePropertyChangeValue?Type=kRestPositionOnStave&Value=2" : [ "§" ]
			},

Obviously you’ll need to Filter Rests before you do that (or record a macro that does both).

Thanks Leo. I don’t mind clicking on rests to select them and then using this command, still faster!

I’m not even asking about getting around to implementing their plans regarding scripting anymore: by this point, just allowing the menu to be populated by the contents of a folder would suffice. One could then set up AutoHotKey or Keyboard Maestro to drudge through the menu or something. This would be flexible enough already to allow any user, independent of their savviness, to exploit what’s already in place.

Pretty please?

Thanks Leo, this is great! Typically when writing a drum part, I really don’t care about playback and am more interested in showing a professional what the rest of the band is doing. They almost always are going to come up with something better than I could write anyway, LOL. This key command is perfect for something like this:

(Bottom staff of score, obviously bar #s don’t look like that in a part)

Update: It worked beautifully. I even designed a Stream Deck icon for it, since I’m doing it a lot. Thank you Leo!!

place 8th rest.png

That is clever and a good way of performing any tweaks which can only be accessed using the properties panel. I might try making something like this for left-aligning all lyrics, something I need for staves with figured bass.

That’d be:
UI.InvokePropertyChangeValue?Type=kLyricTextAlignment&Value=kLeft
:wink:

Stream Deck is really level up these days.

84C0CF6A-728A-4539-9BEB-10E2C690104B.jpeg

Ooh you got the XL! What do the Yes/No buttons do?

…and why is NO brown? :wink:

Maybe I should look into getting one, although I’m pretty good at remembering key commands. I’m afraid that it’ll be another device which will further lazify my brain, which used to be able to remember a multitude of phone numbers and perform complex calculations…

Thanks for the json file command, Leo!

I easily memorize key commands as well, but some of these are multi-actions. For example, 4th row, 4th icon. I often get choral scores that have single-voice unison. This button copies the note, goes to note input, switches to downstem voice 1, pastes into voice, and exits note input.

Also, several of these are simple key commands, but if I’m breezing through a sequence, I often like to have my right hand stay on the SD.

Leo: The yes/no are filter select-only and deselect-only. And the “no” is actually red… it just didn’t show up in the photo.

Dan, you got yours mighty fast! I only got mine two days ago. I’m loving it.

Having the extra real estate was really worth it. There’s a lot less menu diving and many of the places that required two folders now only need a single pane. It’s much better. I took my smaller one home but I’m thinking about bringing it back to work too so there’s even less hopping around. I tweaked the notation express profile pretty heavily (with a few ideas borrowed from your profile) to make it fit my needs and this new layout. I’m thrilled.

One fringe benefit I’ve noticed, on some screens (for non-dorico programs) I’m also able to use dead space very deliberately and separate out groups of functions on the same level and leave dead icons in-between so it’s easier to group functions and see them as separate groups. Couldn’t afford that on the smaller one.

Leo, how do you find out these things? :confused:

He uses a trick given by Luís Salgueiro (he told me that on FB yesterday). This is really clever : build a macro using the lua script that makes what you need. This will create a macro file that will appear in the same folder as you personal key bindings (on mac, it’s user library/app support/Steinberg/Dorico2). You can open that macro file in a text (or tex) editor and look for that kind of .json command. Chances are VERY high that this is the command you want to control with a new key binding :wink:

The trick was given by Daniel, truth be told — he was the one who aided a number of users in creating their own custom keyboard shortcuts directly through the .json. At best, I only tried to elucidate the underlying logic so that people could take advantage of that independently and however they saw fit!

Thankyou Marc and Luis. I have played with .json files before but never with macros. I’ll take a look at them.