Setting input levels when recording guitars or vocals - do it on the interface, in Cubase or both?

I am not sure, but I would bet that you have 32 bit audio files where 8 bits are simply without information, that is there is information given by just 24 bit. I would recomend you change the setting of your project and in the future you record and do your mixing work with 24 bit files.

I think so.

Yes you can work this way. At input is when you record, but I think, if at recording the pre gain and fader are set at 0, it should not affect.

so far you are between -18 and -12 or -10 it should be OK. Remember that is a rough starting point. The goal is that you have good levels to work, but without burning the master.

do not swith on your inserts before you are ready with the static mix. Maybe exceptions could be guitars where you use amp emulation and want that this sound it is kind of the ā€œoriginalā€ sound.

That is absolutely expected. Gain stagin is not intended to balance (see above). Your first rough balance you do with the static (rough) mix, without plugins. If after the static mix a level is far from -18, so be it, you donā€™t care about that. Gain staging is already history.

The levels are now at the service of the mix. What the gain staging gave you is that you are standing on a good starting point where your signals are robust and you donā€™t burn the master.

If you change them to input they are not taking into acount the fader position. That is not wanted in the mixing stage.

do not care anymore about those levels when you are mixing. Gain staging and their -18 dB are history now.

and specific to

with the faders you modify what goes out of your channel, not the input signal.

Some people begin with drums and bring down the faders of all other instruments first (not the pre gain!). Once they are happy with the drums, they add bass, and so on. Different people work different ways. I highly recomend you visit the Mix Together series froms the channel Home Studio Corner I listed above.

1 Like

Ok, it seems like Iā€™m on the right track now (no pun intended!). The thing about turning everything down is that it makes the entire mix sound quiet through my studio headphones. Iā€™ve turned the headphone output on my interface up full, but itā€™s still obviously a lot quieter than Iā€™m use. Maybe Iā€™ll have to mix on monitor speakers instead and just turn them up a lot more to compensate for all the channels being turned down a lot. I can imagine when recording vocals, for example, it could be very hard to hear your vocals coming through the headphones even with the interface output turned up full because of the input volume being so low. Is this normal?

Do group and effects channels need to be gained staged also? I have 13 tracks of backing vocals going to a group channelā€¦Iā€™ve gained staged each individual backing vocal track, however the group channel theyā€™re routed to looks a bit ā€˜hotā€™. On the effects channels, I have reverb and stereo delay, so Iā€™m wondering if these need to be gained staged too.

I donā€™t follow your question very well.
For mixing try to use a volume that is high enough to hear details but low enough to be able to have a conversation.
Some like to put a limiter on the master bus with a ceiling of -1 dB, aiming to just a tinny couple of dB gain reduction on the limiter. In different stages of the mix you must verify the limiter again, watching that is not acting too hard. That is only to be able to hear your mix with a similar volume that it will have when is finished and mastered. But donā€™t forget to turn the limiter off before doing the mixdown, as the mastering engineer (someone else or yourself) should get a mixdown that still has some room -several dB- to work.

By the way, if at recording a volume of an important instrument for the ā€œartistā€ is playing too low, you can use cue mixes. I am not sure if cue mixes are part only of the pro version. But you can save mix consoles too, as a workaround.

I donā€™t know. I think it would be too much. And donā€™t forget that sending and FX belongs to the mix work. You donā€™t do gain staging anymore there. Always remember: it is a rough starting point, donā€™t freak out about it. Regarding your backing vocals, I donā€™t know, as I am not expert, but I would see if some pre gain in the channel can help or simply move the fader a little and end of the story.

If you check the Mix Together series you will notice Joe doesnā€™t do gain staging at all. He has good files to work, more or less with right levels (maybe some of them at -10, others at -15, and so on), and ready, end of the story. He moves on and starts the static mix, after he has carefully verified and fixed phase issues.

1 Like

Knopf
I donā€™t follow your question very well.

What I mean is, if I am recording vocals etc at a lower input gain than previously (when I used to record everything too ā€˜hotā€™), itā€™s going to sound quieter through my headphones - at least that was my thinking. I tried a test recording of some vocals on one of the tracks Iā€™d gained staged by reducing the PRE gain, and the vocals were coming through my headphones very quiet.

However I did another test recording on a fresh track, with no PRE gain reduction, but simply using the input gain control on my interface to set the vocal level to about -18dbfs on the Cubase Mix Console and the level I was hearing through my headphones was fine. I think itā€™s just a case of me getting used to working this way.