Setting up Control Room for Surround help please

I use Surround Sound and the control room. I seem to have sert up Cubase 8 so I can hear sound out of the speakers, but only in stereo.
VST connections is set up for surround. I set p in the usual way inputs in surround and Studio leaving outputs blank. There are no stereo busses.

If I look on the stereo tab (in the grey bit) it states ‘configuration stereo’ and I am unable to change this by clicking.
Or in the Control Room mixer there is one mix called Main and this is stereo

How do I change this please?

Z

Did you define a 5.1 Main out? You don’t even have to connect it (better not to).

And then right click on this and select as “Primary” or “Main” or something (can’t remember what it’s called).

Also make sure you have a 5.1 Monitor defined for the control room also.

Hugh

1 Like

Thanks that was it

So, I have got it working, after a fashion (and really like C8) but I have this weird issue where in my 5.1 surround set up I get the wrong channels coming out of the wrong places
I load a special audio file for testing Surround - a voice identifying each speaker. I have checked the inputs and outputs in the VST connections dialogue all seems in logical order 123456, I use the Control Room and that is set up to match. However, in playback both left and right front speakers sound for both left and right simultaneously, and the sub and centre speaker are swapped. The rear speaks are working as they should.
I have checked the amp (passive speakers) and all seems ok.

I don’t know where to look?

Z

So, I have got it working, after a fashion (and really like C8) but I have this weird issue where in my 5.1 surround set up I get the wrong channels coming out of the wrong places
I load a special audio file for testing Surround - a voice identifying each speaker. I have checked the inputs and outputs in the VST connections dialogue all seems in logical order 123456, I use the Control Room and that is set up to match. However, in playback both left and right front speakers sound for both left and right simultaneously, and the sub and centre speaker are swapped. The rear speaks are working as they should.
I have checked the amp (passive speakers) and all seems ok.

I don’t know where to look?

Z

You must be missing something in your setup or your interface.

the standard order (at least in my experience) for surround outs is:

1. LF
  2. RF
  3. Center
  4. LFE
  5. LR
  6. RR

Does your test file conform to this?
I have seen different orders.

You could also check down the chain.
Are your CR meters indicating correctly?
If your Audio Interface has any meters you can check those.

If everything’s good to there then move on to the Amp . . . etc.

Hope this helps!

Hugh

Hi,

Do you know if it is possible to set-up a 5.1 Main Out in Cubase Elements 8?

Or how do I set up Cubase 8 Elements to produce 5.1 sound?

Thanks

thank you people i got myself sorted