Setting up multiple monitors. help

After reading that c8 now supports routing to multiple monitors I confidently resolved to set up same, got hopeless and irretrievably confused.

What I want to do is rout monitoring signal to either stereo monitors+sub or 5.1 on my home theatre speakers.

Using a Saffire PRo40 with Octopre for extra 8 i/o.

As far as I know it should be possible to rout a mix to my 5.1 speakers using SPDIF via an optical cable.

Where do I start? The mixer now has ‘Direct Routing’ and ‘Routing’. ??

I have setup previously a succesful 5.1 mix to 5 audio outputs connected to the Saffire. So I do know how to do that.

I attempted it seems, a myriad of options, creating two destinations in ‘Direct Routing’, setting up a 5.1 monitor in Control Room, setting up a 5.1 tab in the Saffire app. Hopeless.

So it seems I am stuck in how to assign multiple monitors and how to assign the 5.1 mix to a SPDIF output. [which may be one issue?]

Any genius advice appreciated. :smiley:

Not helped by the fact I have never attempted to use the Saffire with SPDIF before.

As far as I know it should be possible to rout a mix to my 5.1 speakers using SPDIF via an optical cable.

I’m afraid not.

http://uk.focusrite.com/answerbase/how-do-i-use-the-spdif-inputs-and-outputs-on-the-saffire-or-scarlett

Now that is pretty annoying. :cry:

um it does not seem that hard an ask.

I have a brilliant pro recording DAW

Sophisticated 5.1 surround sound system

No way to connect them together?

Sigh…

Seems that for professional audio, only ADAT allows more than stereo out of optical ports, which doesn’t help with interfacing to consumer surround systems.