Setting up Windows 10 perfectly for Cubase 9

I only recently came across to Windows from Mac, and am floundering a bit about how to set up the computer so that it runs perfectly (as far as possible) for Cubase. I have had multiple crashes, audio drop outs, sluggish performance and RAM access problems since coming over to Windows and I know I need to set my system up better. I’ve done a lot of the Steinberg advice re optimisation but the system seems woeful compared to the 5 year Mac I left (and I’m not going back)

My system is a Dell i7 8920, with boot up on SSD and 24GB RAM (I am going to upgrade to 32 asap) Windows 10 home.

I know this isn’t a recording studio machine but I just need it to be more stable and ‘better’ so any advice would be appreciated. I’ve been running Cubase since 3sx so I have been around for a few years!!

Thanks

More info needed.

Audio Interface
Graphics
What type of projects are you running

You should start troubleshooting by installing and running LatencyMon

Can’t help you with Win 10. I prefer 7. But 24gb is plenty. What do you mean with RAM access? If the ram is not set up properly (speed, voltage) you will have even more problems if you add more. You can test if your machine is hardware stable with linx (intel burn test)and prime95 or memtest. If it is not 100% stable with prime for a few hours that is your issue. With how much ram did the machine come when bought and can you go back to only that ram for testing?

I use Focusrite 18i20 interface, The graphics is Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 6GB and I run large orchestral projects mainly using VSTs (up to 50 trakcs midi) with up to 8 tracks audio

Make sure USB selective suspend is disabled in power options advanced and also go into device manager properties/power management tab for each usb hub and untick allow computer to turn off this device.

Uninstall The Nvidia drivers and do a clean install ONLY installing the driver and none of the optional stuff.

Now read up a little on LatencyMon and run it and report it’s findings.

You may be able to get some improvement but tbh an off the shelf Dell is probably not the right choice for Orchestral Projects. How far up does your ASIO meter get before you have issues?

Singel purpose DAW machine only (no gaming, sharing machine with other people)

Re the RAM speed thing, if you workout how much data is actually being shifted by a huge 300 track 24bit 96khz project, the requirements won’t stress even the slowest RAM. Yes you’ll save some CPU cycles via reduction in latency, but the difference isn’t all that great. Given fixed costs, increased amounts of slower RAM will be more useful to a DAW PC than smaller amounts of faster RAM.