Settings for midi recording in Cubase AI 12

I am creating a template with audio tracks and 16 midi tracks. I have set each midi track to a separate channel. I am also using Halion SE 3 with each track set to a different instrument.
When I record, the audio tracks are fine. The midi tracks all have recorded data as though the midi tracks were set to OMNI or all midi inputs. What have I done wrong or missed in my setup.

Hi and welcome to the forum,

This is, how Cubase works. You would need the MIDI Input Transformer to filter the MIDI Notes by the MIDI Channel. But this one is not part of Cubase AI. Please, record all MIDI data to one track only and then use the MIDI > Dissolve Part function.

Thank you.

If I import a midi file each channel is on a separate track. So, as advertised, Halion SE recognizes individual tracks.
Also, since you write that “this is not how Cubase works”, is it te same for Cobase Elements 12?

Jacomo

Hi,

Yes, Cubase can recognise individual MIDI Channels. But during the record, all Channels are recorded to the record-enabled track(s), if you don’t filter them out, what you can do by using Input MIDI Transformer, which is not part of Cubase AI.

I wrote the opposite:

Cubase Elements doesn’t include the Input MIDI Transformer neither. Only Cubase Artist and Cubase Pro have this feature included.

Thank you!
Disappointing that it is not included in either AI and Elements. I was considering upgrading, but now I will not.

Jacomo

It’s insane that you can’t filter by MIDI Channel per track on lower versions. It’s such a basic requirement that I can’t even begin to understand how this is a ‘pro’ feature. I just presume it’s because they lock away all the MIDI plugins that results in this restriction.

It also put me off Cubase for many years when I tried out one of the lower versions. MIDI IN Channel should be part of the track inspector and not reliant on a MIDI insert (imo).

The transformer is responsible for filtering multiple incoming MIDI Channels into the correct tracks in real-time. But there is also an option to dissolve parts into channels too, and I believe that exists in the lower tier products too?

(edit: sorry, just realised this was pointed out earlier)

I mean, just checking that we are reading your original post correctly too - your MIDI controller is sending multiple channels in to Cubase, is that correct? That’s when you need the transformer for this task.

Because without the MIDI transformer you can still create multiple HALion tracks and just record enable those you want to record individually if not(?).

1 Like

Even more insaner :wink: when you realise that AI is included with the flagship synths of their parent company, Yamaha, which need multi-track MIDI in order to be able to do any real work.

That was exactly the boat I was in, I got it with a Motif and realised I couldn’t even multitrack MIDI with it. It was made worse that the Motif’s offer layered Arps which are definable by MIDI Channel.

I stuck with Logic for many years because of this issue, it’s really quite off-putting if you approach Cubase being the best for MIDI. Hiding such features away and needing a MIDI insert to achieve a track function leaves you with the impression that it’s not capable.

1 Like

Thanks!

You are correct, imo, as well.
I am just switching to Cubase and am finding it a bit difficult to use. Certainly this inability to record midi channels to separate tracks is not in the documentation as I have searched a lot.
I have used Sonar since its inception and prior to that as Cakewalk. The program splits the incomming midi by channel and each channel is placed on its own track.
It is something that could be added to Cubase AI and Elements.

Jacomo

Hi,

I tried what you suggested:
Enable one midi track;
Record all midi to that track;
Used the MIDI>Dissolve Part function;
Selected "Separate Channels;
Return message was “processing”;
Nothing happened.

I ran through the above several times. I selected all the midi tracks; nothing happened.
I enabled and selected the midi tracks. Nothing happened.

I am totally lost!!!

You select the MIDI item (part) that contains the data you wish to dissolve into it’s own MIDI Channels. Not the track.

skijumptoes,

I am not sure about your explanation. I have gone through everything in the 700+ pages relating to recording midi. There is nothing that I found that even mentions “Dissolve parts”. As a matter of fact, instructions are provided for taking all of the separate channels and recording them to just one track.

Maybe it will help to explain my setup. I use an accordion with a built in midi controller. I connect it to a rhythm arranger that receives midi data and provides the sounds and accompaniment that I have selected. For example, I might use a guitar for lead and a dance, beat, latin pop or country rhythm. I have set up the arranger to transmit each part on a separate channel. When I record, I set Cubase with two audio tracks and 16 midi tracks each assigned to one of the midi channels. I simultaneously record audio and midi data except that the audio is the accordion treble on one track and bass and chords on the second. The audio is doubled on three midi tracks, treble, bass and chord, using channels 1, 2, and 3. The remaining channels are transmitted according to the program initially selected and these data are recorded on separate tracks in accordance with the channel number on the track. It works like a charm.

But, not in Cubase AI 12 so I am told. It works in Sonar/Cakewalk, but latest versions of Cakewalk cannot use ASIO drivers.

Would someone show me where in the Cubase manual it shows that I should record all 16 channels on one track and then “dissolve” each channel part onto respectively numbered tracks. I have no reason to doubt what others in the forum have told me, especially since I have not been able to record midi in Cubase.

It seems to me to be more difficult technically to split the midi after it is in Cubase than to direct it a respectively numbered track as the data
comes into the Cubase program.

Jacomo

To everyone who responded to my question about separating midi data.

I tried again today to use the Dissolve Part function and it worked fine. It still seems to be an unnecessary step, except for drums. After my success, I found very good explanations on YouTube.

Thanks again and happy recording,

Jacomo

Jacomo

2 Likes