Setup

I installed the Cubase AI 6 software on my iMac OS 10.9 Maverick, in which, I have a AudioBox USB as my interface and the Yamaha Motif XF 8 as my instrument, so following the device setup, it recognizing the interface and keyboard but I can’t get it to record nothing. I’m thinking I didn’t follow the instructions correctly, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hello Scopecity,

Make sure you have latest update installed for Cubase AI6 v 6.0.7.

http://support.steinberg.de/downloads_software/Cubase_LE_AI_Elements_6/6.0.7/PC/Cubase_LE_AI_Elements_6.0.7_Update.exe

Next, go to your manufactures website (Presonus) to find the most recent supported ASIO or CoreAudio driver for your Audio Interface and Operating System (PC or Mac)

After Installing the driver, be sure your Audio Interface is connected to the computer via USB or Firewire.

Launch your Cubase Application and create or open a project.

To select your Audio Interfaces driver please go to Devices>Device Setup> click VST Audio System and at the top of the window select the ASIO driver to your Audio Interfaces. Please be sure the correct audio driver is selected before closing this window.

Next you must go to VST Connections to setup your Input/Output configuration to your Audio Interface. To find this go to Devices>VST Connections>Check the Output Tab first then click on your Device Ports and Select your Audio Interfaces output options. Next check the Input Tab and click on your Device Ports to Select your Audio Interfaces input options. If the Input or Output Tab options say “Unmapped” then click or double click the box that says unmapped and select the correct buss from the menu below. Next, click the checkbox that says always map and click “OK”. If you have more Inputs or Outputs on your audio interface select “Add Buss” to configure additional I/O then exit out of the window.

[edited] a more simple and forward explanation above beat me to it]

Assuming that these are hooked up correctly (and any updates that have been suggested are done)…you then should see your audio interface in your ‘VST connections’ (used to be called VST Inputs in older versions of Cubase). Do you see your interface in your VST connections? If so, select your Inputs & Outputs there for that interface. If not, then make sure your interface is selected as your ASIO device within Cubase!

After that, for each audio track and each midi track in your Project Window (used to be called Arrange Window in older versions) - you know, the window with all the track lanes (long bars) on them…either an audio wave or a midi lane etc - make sure that you select the proper Input & output on each track, whether it’s an audio or midi track, or Instrument Track if you’re using those. As you highlight each track (audio or midi), just to the left of each track is an area where you select the In/Out…and further to the left, again when a track is highlighted/selected, which takes up more space from top to bottom (not just within/just to the left of the space within the tracks bar) is yet another area where you select the input/output. Again, to the far left area of the Project Window (after track is highlighted/selected) but more toward the upper area of that (not very top though).

See this image …

http://media.soundonsound.com/sos/nov03/images/cubaseproject.l.jpg

Notice where it says Stereo In and Stereo Out to the laft of the Project Window (this is Cubase SX, though should be similar to all Cubase versions). You normally can select your Input & Output for each track, audio or midi tracks. On audio tracks select your sound cards I/O, for midi tracks, select your midi Input (can be set to ‘any’ or a particular input) for the output, select either a midi output into an external midi sound module, or an internal virtual Instrument (VSTi) either 3rd party or whatever instruments Cubase included with it. Same deal with an Instrument Track…I use midi tracks myself, not Instrument Tracks.

Thanks Joel Gregg and Sync, I have everything up and running and in sync with my keyboard using the Motif XF editor and able to record and hear what is being recorded during playback.

Glad to hear your up and running!