Sfzp<ff

sfzp<ff is a common dynamic marking in contemporary brass writing. Let’s say it’s under a whole note and the ff is positioned at the end of the bar. Anyone know how to indicate this in Dorico?

Thanks.

I don’t think you can do the sfzp in one item, but you could have separate dynamic items for the sfz, p, <, and ff.

I second this, even with custom dynamics sfzp is unavailable.

Sorry for being dense. How do you add the p and the ff of they’re not tied to notes?

sfzp isn’t possible in Dorico, but the glyph does exist in SMuFL.
sfzp

When I’ve needed this before, I’ve input it like Lillie did, then selected Hide Intensity Marking and input the sfzp as text using the glyph contained in the SMuFL font. This way it still plays back correctly, but I don’t have to worry about the positioning between the sfz and the p changing if the layout changes.

sfzp really should be supported without this hassle though.

1 Like

I agree, support for sfzp would be preferred sometime in the future without the workaround being necessary.

Use the caret (e.g. as in this tip) or move dynamics according to the rhythmic grid.

This is great. But I don’t know how to input graphics like this in Dorico. And I tried to find a downloadable library of SMuFL but no success. Can you please walk me thru it step by step?

Thanks to all for the kind help!

You don’t need a downloadable library of SMuFL – you can simply copy and paste from this page. Once you paste into Dorico in your Shift+X text item, make sure you select the pasted character and use the menu in the top-left of the text editing controls to change the character style to Music text.

Future versions of Dorico will make it easier to insert arbitrary SMuFL symbols in text without needing to copy and paste them manually.

And we certainly do intend to revisit the kinds of dynamics Dorico can represent semantically in future, too.

4 Likes

[quote=“macadamian, post:8, topic:754555”]
Thanks, Daniel. All solved.