Shared expression maps - am I missing something?

When creating expression maps for some reason I don’t always succeed in using a single expression map for more than one instrument. I made one yesterday for violins which V1 and V2 shared without a problem, but in a similar scenario with another sample library today the ex map only worked with one instrument but not the other. Am I missing something? Do I need to have both instruments in the same endpoint set up?

What sort of instruments did it not work with? Bear in mind that Section and Single Players need to be defined separately, and e.g. Clarinet in A and Clarinet in Bb are different.

There’s no reason why you can’t use the same expression map for multiple instruments. You just need to make sure that the appropriate expression map is chosen for the appropriate channels in the Endpoint Setup dialog.

Both were solo horns.

Having read your comment I changed Horn 2 to channel 2 but even more weird things happened. I got a combination of no assigned instrument in either channel or only one displayed and many other very odd results. On my final attempt the audio for Horn 2 showed as Horn 1 in the mixer.

I suspect it’s a question of strictly following the order of set up steps and clearly I’m missing something. Of course I can still create individual ex maps but clearly it’s less efficient. I guess the best answer is to cover the subject from scratch in one of John’s forthcoming discover dorico livecasts and ideally illustrate the way it works using the SINE Player as an example.

I’m sure it’s my own inexperience. Dorico has set up rules that I simply need to grasp. It’s probably something very basic but creating expression maps and endpoints for something like BBCSO Discover, a dedicated plugin for one library, is generally more straightforward than doing the same thing for a vst that hosts many different libraries like the SINE Player does. If the worst comes to the worst I’ll create individual expression maps for each instrument. Just takes a little longer.

If two SINE instruments have different ‘articulations’, then they’ll need different ex maps, naturally.
The fact that they are different libraries and both use SINE Player is largely irrelevant, surely?

The Ex map is only one part of it, though: you need a saved Endpoint, and a Playback Template.

1 Like

I appreciate that instruments can’t point to the same expression map if they contain different articulations. Most of the expressions I’ve made are individual but just a few have the same articulations. Anyway it’s not a major problem. I’ve made endpoints and playback templates for most of the libraries I have and added playing techniques along the way. But I still have stuff to learn so I’m going through an old posting to this forum on Expression Maps which fortunately I saved.

1 Like

No luck so far. Preparing separate expression maps for solo and section instruments. Allocating individual channels to each instrument. Still some very strange results with the library I mentioned to you. I won’t be beaten though. It could be the order I’m doing things in as Dorico requires discipline. But this did arise during testing so maybe that’s got something to do with it.

All done but despite several attempts I wasn’t able to create any shared expression maps. All 21 endpoints and the playback template are done. Next I’ll review the content of the expression maps. I applied a number of tips I’ve learned from the Discover Dorico series but it’s easy to make mistakes. Thanks for your input.

Hi Andhy

You mention the SINE player - I’ve put a playback template for the OT Berklee library on the resources page: Resources – Dorico, which might help show an example with SINE? Otherwise do you want to send me a project and I’ll have a look?
Generally if two (e.g. horns 1 and 2) use the same techniques then I’ll use the same expression map. For some libraries it’s e.g. ‘high winds’ that all use the same one - just tell each instrument which map to use in the endpoint setup dialog, and it doesn’t matter if something else is already using it.

Thanks for your guidance John. The BOB template was a great help. I had thought that auditioning of shared expression maps was testing all the endpoints that shared the same expression map however I now realise that, while I can audition the first instrument using that method, for subsequent instruments If I want to test them I should play back test notes entered in write mode. So it was my misunderstanding of the way the auditioning function in expression maps works. Logically, if it’s simply another horn using the same expression map, that seems perfectly reasonable. Thanks John