Sharing a workaround: Found a way to write polyrhythms with the proper time signature displaying.

Space does not enter rests; it advances through them. Turn on rest entry and force duration and tap either a note name or the letter Y. That will input rests.

Ah! As usual, excellent - thanks so much. Now, where would I have found that in the help files/manual; it was entering Y that did it, and that’s not mentioned there. This forum is brilliant - but I’ve never needed a forum as much; in fact, I can’t think of any other software I use where I’ve needed a forum at all. I know Daniel’s said they are aware that the documentation needs updating - I do hope they consider some of the topics here, since that gives a strong clue about what users need help with.
Despite that small rant-ette of frustration, I am beginning to get used to Dorico; there are certainly a lot of things I like about it.
Anyway, this is getting off-topic now, so I’ll try to disappear for a while.

Well though it’s out of date and thus doesn’t mention Y, it still mentions using note names rather using space.

Dear piano888,
The documentation in the Version History is really accurate and remarkable. I suggest you try there too.

Thanks to both. I’ll follow those up. I did think I’d done - or attempted - a ‘positive’ rest entry, so will have another go later.

Hi - I can create different time signatures on two instruments thanks to @cluade_g_lapalme instruction. So I wished to have one instrument in 12/8 one in 4/4 with the beat as q=96 in the 4/4 part and q. = 96 in the 12/8 part - a conductor would beat and the 12/8 player would read it as a dotted quarter note beat, and the 4/4 player would read it as a quarter note beat - so everyone stays in time.
I can’t find a way to set the tempo independently for each player.
The “mock up” test is shown below - when I play back the 12/8 bar overruns the end of the 4/4 bar.
Please can someone advise how to overcome this dilemma? Thanks

You should fake the 12/8 time signature and use hidden triplets on the eighths until Dorico can support poly-tempo as well as ploy-meter.

polyMeterExample.dorico (730.0 KB)

Hi !
Maybe I’m dumb, but I can’t solve this problem. I’m desperately trying to write a viola part in 2/4 when the score is in 6/8. Of course, the bars don’t match.
Thanks in advance for your help, I’ve been stuck on this for too long!
I think an option (checkboxes allowing bar match) in the disposition or notation preferences should be a great stuff !

As stated before, you will need to use hidden a specific pickup bar (anacrouse). It will look like this in your 2/4 staff: 2/4, 3. Then next bar you’ll input a 6/8 hidden meter and you will of course need to use hidden 2:3e or 2:3q tuplets (and probably adjust the beaming).
Yes, it could be easier. But from the arithmetics, this all really makes sense, so once you’ve grasped it, it’s no longer a problem! Keep on trying :wink:

Per what Marc describes: independent (ALT + RETURN confirmation of the added 2/4) time signature and hidden tuplets.

mixedMeter.dorico (521.7 KB)

1 Like

Thank you so much for your replies.
I explain : I succeeded to do this in a two staves creation (just for try the tip) and I understand the procedure (Hidden tuplets are a good way to avoid the problem).
But my problem is, as I work on an orchestral template, even with empty staves, the first bar doesn’t match as I change from 6/8 to 2/4 using alt+enter (on only one staff) and I don’t understand why except the fact that there are several groups in the score (woodwinds, brass). It’s directly offset and no way to fix that.

When you enter 2/4,3 in the popover, this displays “2/4” but with a pickup-bar of 3 quarters, to match the length of 6/8. Then you invisibly put the meter back to 6/8 before 2/4 actually happens. So it’s not a real 2/4, it’s faked with duplets throughout, and the barlines stay in sync.

2 Likes

I’m definitely a dumb ! :crazy_face:
On the orchestral score, I forgot to write the [ ,3] in the popover. I’d better stop working late !
That’s why I chose Dorico! In addition to a number of great features, it’s the support of a great community!
Thank you so much Marc, Derrek and Mark !

1 Like