Sharing .wav files with non Cubase users

Hi All,
I’m new to sharing files with other people for collaboration. They are using Garage Band. Everything’s been ok so far so long as all parts/tracks start at song position 1.1.1.
But how do you deal with a part that I’ve recorded after I’ve sent all the other tracks that start at position 1.1.1, and punched in at say 45.1 .4.50 ? How does the receiver know where to put this track in the project?
Bear in mind this is all audio without a click track. Any ideas or tips on this process would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance…

Hi and welcome to the forum,

For this kind of scenario, you can export OMF or AAF from Cubase. This format includes the WAV files and their positions in the project. So you can transform it to 3rd party DAWs.

But I don’t know, if Garage Band can import one of the file format.

Thank you for your quick reply. But do you mean when they import the files it will automatically go to correct song position, or that information is included as text and they would move it the that position?
And where do I find the start and end positions of an event. I can see the start position noted in the pool (Origin Time) but I can’t find the end position

Hi,

Yes.

Excellent thank you. I’ll give it a try

Problem is my Cubase Elements 11 only offers AIFF , WAV, MPEG, FLAC or OggVorbis

Hi,

OK, then I’m sorry, there is no way.

You’re both over thinking it.
Just export the new part from 1.1.1, you’ll get a load of silence at the start, but so long as the recipient places the file at 1.1.1 it will line up perfectly, they can then just remove the section with silence.

I think many of us do this every day.

2 Likes

I don’t see the problem. As matjones says: Just set left locator to 1.1.1 and right locator at end of track, and export WAV as usual. Track should line up.
Is the recipient having a problem with this?

Haha…is it that easy? Please note the audio event doesn’t start until 45.1 .4.50 .Before it there’s nothing . Just space.
Won’t it put the event at position of the cursor and consequently not synced? But I’ll check now. Thank you.

thanks people it worked…soooo helpful!! I’ve been trying to do this for ages, but exporting from the beginning of the event instead of how you suggested. I’m SO happy

thanks people it worked…soooo helpful!! I’ve been trying to do this for ages, but exporting from the beginning of the event instead of how you suggested. I’m SO happy

Glad you’re sorted. :smiley:

Whether there is musical content or silence, CB will export whatever is between the locators.

It’s worth noting here that if you were to export mp3s this way you and your collaborators will likely have trouble with lining up the tracks.

Thanks again KevetS. Good to know re MP3s…

Continuing on with this files sharing…I’m exporting .wav files and Export As “mono downmix” is that correct? All files/tracks are currently mono. And I have to export each track individually in Cubase LE?
Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Geoff

Hi,

In this case, yes.

Exactly, one by one.

That’s great…thank you