Shortcut to convert straight 8th notes to triplets?

Is there a shortcut or technique in Dorico where I can select two 8th notes, and quickly re-notate them as quarter-note-plus-eighth-note-with-a-triplet over them?

1 Like

Not in one click, but you can:

1. Activate Insert mode (and select the most appropriate scope)
  2. Select the first note in each pair
  3. Press 6 to make them crotchets/quarters
  4. Select the whole phrase
  5. Press Shift-; to open the tuplets popover
  6. Enter 3:2e
  7. Press Return
3 Likes

Thank you again Lillie!

I used your instructions, however, there were a couple of oddities.

Step 2: comment only: this is a tedious part of the process. If you have a phrase like this, for example:

Screenshot 2023-11-15 at 2.13.22 PM

then it can be cumbersome to have to select only every alternating note (notes 1, 3, 5, and 7). I wish there was an easier way to do this.

Step 3: after doing step 3, the phrase now spills into bar 2, which would definitely be a problem if there was musical content that I wanted to leave untouched in bar 2!

Step 5: I had to hit ; (semicolon) ONLY. Not shift-semicolon. That didn’t do anything.

Step 7: Yes, I got the final result I wanted!

Screenshot 2023-11-15 at 2.17.55 PM

So in the end, it does work. (Thank you!) But it is a bit cumbersome and error-prone, especially step 2 which requires careful manual selection. I’m mentioning all this in case there might be a way to improve this in a future version of Dorico.

Ah yes I misspoke, sorry.

Insert mode works both ways, meaning any material pushed later when you lengthen notes, will be pulled back again when you shorten them.

1 Like

Ah, very good to know. Thank you!

Your example is simplistic, so perhaps it appears to you to be cumbersome.

Personally I find Dorico’s ability to transform a stream of notes into different configurations of tuplets nothing short of miraculous.

Both these examples converted your scale with just 11 keystrokes…
sc1