Shortcuts greyed out on mac mini M1 running 3.5.12

Just got a new mac mini and the 3.5.12 update. All of the keyboard shortcuts are greyed out in the menu items. Anyone else having this issue?

Apparently this is a “feature” in Big Sur.
See the screenshots at Use macOS keyboard shortcuts – Apple Support (UK) for instance.

Or are the shortcuts not actually working?

1 Like

I now have learned about this new “feature” of Big Sur. However, I continue to have a problem with a specific function in Dorico, the – Respell accidental using … feature does not work when the Tuning system is not 12-EDO. I had a key signature of three flats, one of which was a half-flat. (The tuning system is 17 notes per octave.) I entered notes on my MIDI keyboard, and all of the notes were spelled according to the key signature, except Eb was notated as D#. It is a mystery. See attached screen shot. Actually, I should report this to developers as a problem and probably create a new post with a new title.Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 7.11.21 PM

It’s not the case that you cannot use the respell commands when using tonality systems beyond 12-EDO, but you do need to have a certain amount of symmetry in the way the tonality system is defined. If you cannot lower the note above (say) by the same amount as you have raised the note below, then you cannot respell using the note above.

(See Respell accidental using…not working in non 12-EDO tuning system; also bizarre notation of input notes - #2 by pianoleo)

Thanks Daniel. I really appreciate having an explanation. The system, then, is set up for equal temperaments. So anyone using unequal tunings will have trouble with this feature, correct?

Well, I’m not sure what you expect Dorico to do if a pitch cannot be precisely represented using a different note name with a different accidental: then it is not respelling the music, because the pitch is being changed.

I think I know what you mean. In any case, the specific note in question is enharmonic D#-Ef in my tuning system. It’s the other notes added to the tuning system that are non-symmetrical. I’ll have to look at the structure of the tuning system and see about changing it. In terms of notation, I see no reason for me to define a 17-tone set, when it can easily be defined as simply a subset of 24 EDO. In other words, I use 24 EDO as the tuning system, and I only use 17 of those notes. I think that will be the way to go for me. What do you think?

If your 17-EDO set can be represented as a subset of 24-EDO, that might help, but then again if you remove some of the accidentals from the tonality system so that you cannot sharpen or flatten notes by the same delta, you will still find that you cannot respell the note.