Should I bounce drum tracks after quantizing?

It became a little sluggish after doing some drum quantizing. Will bouncing the tracks take some of the load off? Can I bounce them all at once or one at a time. Anything to look out for when doing this? Thanks mc

Why not try it yourself? Especially since probably no one really knows what exactly ou are talking about.

Clearly depends what soft- / Hardware or what else you are talking about…

I would think drum quantizing is a pretty common thing, no? here are the steps I did below to provide more info

1.Firstly analyse the transients your going to quantize (I usually use kick and snare tracks) by detecting hitpoints in the sample editor.(if you dont do this step then qubase wont know which secctions to quantize)

1. Then put all the drum tracks into a folder and tick the group bbutton to enable gou editing (or hit the default keycommand K)

2. then open the quantize panel-its the little sidearrow in the quantize panel in the main top toolbar (or search for its key command in the key commands window).

In the quantize panel youll see thre sections- Slice, quantize and crossfade(please note they will all show up only when you have track grouping enabled)

With slice you will slice your tracks at transient hitpoints (and also se the before padding for crossfading)
Then use quantize to put the slices in time
Finally use the Crosfade section to fill the gaps caused by the quantization.

Back to my question, as this creates hundreds of little files in each track, I assume this might create more of a load on the cpu (macbook pro). Is it common practice then bounce these tracks to create one file each? Should I bounce as a group or is it recommended to bounce individually?
Cubase 9.10

I could be wrong but I don’t think it was the quantize operation that svennilenni was questioning but rather the load difference that bouncing might have on your particular system, hence the suggestion to try it. I can’t think of a situation where bouncing would increase the load on your computer so, yes, worth a try to see just how much a difference it makes.

Slicing per se doesn’t create extra files but it does create extra reference points into the existing files which may well stress your system but again hard to tell without knowing your system. Hence, I assume the suggestion to try it for yourself.

Likewise, whether you need to bounce them all at once or one at a time depends on your system’s specs (and how many there are?) but possibly more on the routing of your drum tracks…any effects sends that you want included?

I believe this sluggish you are referring to is still a GUI issue rather than it being quantizing related. Slicing multiple audio files, especially a bunch of drums edits is still causing sluggishness.

Look for my post with the (Drums_edits.png) attachment. You’ll see that I also encountered this issue.
https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=250&t=126388&p=688711#p688711

The only thing that can help as a workaround is to put your events into parts, this way you can avoid having to bounce your edits/slices.

Thank you. This sounds like what happened with me. Zooming in and out became jerky and sluggish after slicing. can you explain what you mean by putting your events into parts? Thanks mc

Select all the slices within a track, e.g. snare,kick, etc… then click on Audio from the main menu and select " Events to Parts". This will put all the slices within a part, which is basically gluing them together as a whole. You’ll be able to move them around the project as if it’s one event/file.
You must double-click the part to make any edits to the original events. You can also dissolve any parts and that would give you all your original events back. Hope that helps!

Thanks! I had no idea of that function. How does it differ from a bounce?

You can also use track versions (for all tracks at once in the grouped drum folder), for example, do your edit, duplicate the track version, bounce the duplicate. now you will get your UI speed back, but you can also step back to the edit track version if you want to change something.

Events to parts = puts the selected audio events into a part that you can then move around the project space as one event. Leaves original slices,cut,edits intact.

Bouncing = Will consolidate all selected audio events into a new audio file. This obviously uses more storage space in your project.

The only reason I’m suggesting parts, is because it will help a bit with the GUI sluggish you are experience when making lots of edits.
The best way to understand parts would be to mess around with it and get a feel for how it works.