Should I Just Wait For Dorico 4?

I think humpback whales are transposing instruments. You must be thinking of orcas, and they get very twitchy if you put the worng music on their stand.

1 Like

FYI this isn’t too hard to work around:
Dorico lines and boxes.PNG

1 Like

1998 was around the time that Passport Designs sold to GVOX. Yea, it was pretty terrible back then.

There’s talk of a 64 bit version that supports MusicXML 3 on the horizon but I’m not holding my breath. If it ever exists, I’ll upgrade.

The Mac version (build 5.0.6 1033) works quite well in Mojave. Functionality is extremely limited compared to nearly everything else but for knocking out lead sheets, praise band arrangements and the Iike, nothing is faster. It’s dated and looks it. Unfortunately, it only supports a limited implementation of MusicXML 1.3 (Mac) or 1.1 (Win). Otherwise, I’d do all my basic note and lyric entry in Encore then export to Finale or (someday) Dorico for layout and engraving. Performance, student, church services only. Nothing goes to publishing.

There are those still using the Windows version of Encore for engraving which is just nuts, IMO. Frankly, it looks terrible.

2 Likes

can anyone give us a rough estimate of the release date of Dorico 4 (or IV)?

1 Like

From what Daniel said in his blog, the release of 3.5 was designed to get the cycle of annual releases back to the summer. So, Summer next year.

There’s a 50% discounted cross-grade deal on at the moment, so now’s as good a time as any. If you’re not already on 3.5 or even 3.0, then you’re missing out on LOADS.

See “What’s next” at the end of Dorico 3.5.10 update released, with improved figured bass, expression maps, and more – Dorico

It will be ready when it’s ready. Like every previous release.

3.5.1 is super fast and smooth on my mac…totally worth it…Hopefully, dorico 4 comes up with a new way of licensing…E-licenser is a huge joke.

2 Likes