Should Steinberg have the motto of NetFlix?

:laughing:

But really, think about this…isn’t that what makers of DAW softwares, including our Steinmasters are doing? But with every new regurgitation, they throw in some new vegetables, like corn… or even ‘carrots’

:wink:

You could compare Steinberg to Adobe and what they started doing. Software in the clouds, monthly or yearly subscriptions. I don’t like that model.

On the other hand you could compare ITunes store to Netflix or a subscription music services…

Though you obviously can’t compare everything to other things…you can apply the logic of one thing to another thing.

Kevin Spacy was making comparisons of NetFlix to the ‘Music Industry’ … I took it as downloading mp3 songs & such vs downloading movies, not recording software of course.

I was simply applying the ‘logic’ not exactly making ‘comparisons’ between NetFlix to DAW software…Steinberg, Cakewalk, whatever you like. The downloading of movies vs the downloading of DAW software…in each case you can ‘continually’ watch/use either of the said ‘obtained’ goods. You can like it, or not, and then delete what you don’t like, keep what you like. …this can be ‘compared’. You can also buy what you ‘like’ in either case…though with DAW software, it has the edge of more likely to BUY in the end…I think anyway. Several Cubasers in the past have even confessed doing this…of course they were flamed to death with spears! lol

But again, applying the ‘logic’ of NetFlix & mp3 downloading, to NetFlix & DAW software…is 1st and foremost, the PRICING, then supply & demand. Now I have no idea of any statistics, but I would venture to GUESS that if the price of DAW software came way down, there would be far ‘more sales’ made, and venture to guess that there would be far less code cracking attempts, and venture to guess, far less downloading of said cracked DAW softwares. I would also venture to guess that these ‘extra sales’ would make up for such losses due to piracy :exclamation:

As an example of sorts… Anyone remember what a 40" flat panel TV cost about 15 years ago? Somewhere in the area of $10,000!!! :open_mouth: You can go to Wal-Mart now and buy a 55" flat panel TV for around $600 or so!!! Now, just how many big panel TV’s did people have in their homes when the price was $10,000 …NOT MANY! Going in homes for a living for many years, EVERYONE has BIG TV’s now…several of them in a single home!
With the ABOVE …it’s getting to the point now where almost EVERYONE is a ‘Music Producer’!!! Even my nephews, cousins, etc, etc are all budding music producers…guess what, they’re not even MUSICIANS!!! Oh, and guess WHAT they’re using??? Apple Garage Band… and things like that. I just read last night that Cubase 7 is actually INCLUDING their Sequel stuff for the budding music producers & pimple faced teenagers, and losers lol…Steinbergs answer to Garage Band I guess. Now it’s obvious to me that Steinberg see’s at SOME of the potential of their demographic, but not ALL :bulb: Though, they and others are STILL holding onto the ‘Build it and they will come’ & ‘keep the price high/inflated and they will have a better/higher perceived value’. BOTH may be valid of course… to some degree anyway.

As an aside, and keeping in mind of what someone said in another thread, that ‘warez collectors’ prolly don’t spend much time actually USING downloaded software, but are far more busy ‘accumulating’ more of it. Have any of ‘you’ known someone like this? :bulb:

The first flat panel was created in the 60’s. Get yer fax wight! :laughing: