Show 1 chord symbol over beat one a single measure and 8 above

Hello,
I am working on rewriting a song originally only in concert key and the with two 1st and second endings and and single repeat sections the original was made to fit on only two pages.
I have been able to recreate it except for the Solo chord section.
The original pdf boiled what is a 80 measure solo section down to
8 bars with a backward repeat followed by
another
4 bars with a second backward repeat.
12 measures total
2 measure sections
8 measures per chord
There is a repeat symbol in the middle of each 2 measure barline with a 8 directly above the staff and the chord symbol itself is over top of beat 1 the first measure of the 2 measure chord section.
Is there a Dorico document that would show how to create something like this online?
I have yet to find anything that represents the original.
If you need to see pdf I will attempt to upload it. Just the Solos AABA section is what I would like assistance with.

Thank You
Curt

Yes, a clear picture of the original, with detailed reference of the difficult bars, would be helpful for someone to help.

The Great Stream (From Pat Martino Live) C.pdf (352.8 KB)

@fosterjazz this PDF is not complete: has cut out edges that makes very hard/impossible to see what is going on.

The.Great.Stream.Pat.Martino.From.Pat.Martino.Live.C.pdf (395.7 KB)
Sorry about that.
This one shows everything.

The condensed solo section on page 2 is what I am having difficulty recreating Christian.
Thanks for responding to my query.

Hi @fosterjazz I made an example of how to recreate visually the Solos part (on page 2 of your PDF). I created a custom horizontal line with the 8 % symbol. All adjustments are mostly global, with very little overrides. I give you the Dorico file to see maybe deeper how it was made:

fake 8 bar repeats.dorico (627.9 KB)

The remaining issues are:

-the playback is of course not correct (as the 8 bar repetition are only fake, in reality there are only 2 bars)
-I was not successful to write the end barline (at the end of first staff) without cancelling the start repetition barline of the Solos section. (You could split the flow, to achieve this)
(Maybe someone has some better advices?)

But visually is mostly what you have in the original PDF. I hope I could give some help. if you have questions, please ask.

Add-on: In general if something is really difficult (or impossible) to write as desired and at the same time playback as desired, you can have one copy of the file (or flow or layout) only for the desired visual result, and another file where you write linearly all the music that you need without repeats marks, to have the desired playback.

Other (random search in the forum) related threads:

1 Like

Hi Christian
Thank you for your assistance.
My skills with Dorico 5.20 are still at the rudimentary stage so I am still trying to understand how to recreate your example at the end of my Dorico file.
I first created a System break to separate it from the end of the previous section and reinstated the time signature.
it looks like you created it with 6 measures with a repeat back and then 4 more measures with another repeat back. Right?

I am not familiar with the command to place the double lined repeat symbol embedded between the vertical barline and adding the 8 over the staff.
or
getting all 12 bars to fit on one system w/o making every system 12 bars.

The silent invisible Whole note of C on each bar I am not familiar with but I’m researching it with links like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz3-u86wxVE
I was relatively certain that copy and pasting elements of what you created wouldn’t work but I did attempt it.
I am sure of how to phrase the question online to find documents listing a step by step process.
I guess some of this involves a advanced knowledge of Dorico

Hi @fosterjazz
Sorry to overwhelming you with my file :slight_smile: Take your time to learn Dorico step by step. An make notes :wink:

Here some clarifications:
The “Solos” staff is created with 12 bars( II: 8 :II: 4 :II ), all in one staff via the engrave mode option “make into system”

The repeating symbol %, with the 8 on top, is a custom created line with a custom centrated annotation combined with 2 elements, and the line itself is invisible: this can be positioned exactly between the barlines of every couple of bars throughout the start and end position switchers.

The light grey notes are hidden notes and eventually with suppressed playback, just to have some spacing in the bars (they function as space holder)

I hope that this all can be a possibility to familiarise with the wonderful and powerful functionalities of Dorico, besides the First steps guides and all other resources.

If you have specific questions, please ask :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank’s Christian_R
With those posted documents I was able to recreate the chord changes and finish the transcription like the 2 page source pdf.
I had not spent much time learning Dorico functions from the Engrave tab for I will going forward.

Curt

1 Like