Show instrument names only instead of player/layout AND instrument names in Galley View?

So, the little blue instrument names that show up when scrolling through Galley View are a big help in orienting oneself, but I’ve only just noticed that they show the player/layout names AND the instrument names. It’s definitely helpful to know sometimes, but many other times (like when, e.g., I do actually know pretty intuitively which player is doubling which instruments), it would be more helpful to see just the instrument names. It can just be a lot of text to scan through at such a small size and light color. See what I mean? That’s a lot of “flute.” instrument names galley view

Is there a way to show just the instrument names?

I agree. Here’s an example of what I’m dealing with right now !

You could temporarily rename the player to something shorter (in your example @MarcLarcher, maybe “Perc”) whilst you’re writing; if you want, you can reset the player name later and it’ll return to its default.

2 Likes

I’ve been thinking about this. But I wouldn’t know if I’m writing on the good instrument ! One of the beauties of Dorico is that we can assign different instruments to a player, but obviously it becomes very difficult to handle when this player has five or more instruments (which is the case for half of my orchestra here — all the wind players have between 2 and 10 instruments !!!)
I’ve rest my case. I’ve chose a logical order for them, so that I approximately know if I have to alt-n or alt-m to move my notes to the right instrument. But I do approve snakeeyes’ idea, as it would be easier to work in galley view with the last part of the name only (optionally, because I understand the default, which in normal conditions is totally fine).

What I meant is, if you rename the player to “Perc”, the label you see in galley view would be “Perc” followed by the corresponding instrument on each staff, e.g. “Perc: Bass Drum” or “Perc: Tam-tam”. It wouldn’t remove the instrument name, just shorten the player name.

1 Like

We can certainly consider adding a preference of some kind for this. I’ve made a note of it.

3 Likes

Dear Lillie,

This advice was really helpful! That’s why I love this forum, always some good advice to learn from!

2 Likes

Also there should be an option to set the size of the names in Galley mode. Sometimes is too big, and when you need to see it is too small :slight_smile:

This can be changed at Library > Paragraph Styles > Galley View Margin Labels.
You can even change the color if you want.