"Showing Chord Symbols"/ "First Steps", not working

In the “Showing Chord symbols Above different Staves” lesson I am having several problems.

Link:

The lesson states: “Right-click the player card and choose Chord Symbols > Show in Chord Symbol and Slash Regions from the context menu.”

In the project I am working with all three instruments (trombone, Clarinet, cornet) already have this option checked although no chord symbols are visible above clarinet or cornet. Also, In an attempt to work on this, I attempted to uncheck the “show chord symbols” option for clarinet and cornet and I was unable to uncheck the option. Any help would be appreciated. Project attached.
First Steps Blues Song - Ma Rainey See See Rider - start point project.dorico (1.3 MB)

That is because those players have no chord symbol region nor slash region.

(You can test this by selecting a bar in (say) Clarinet and doing Write>Create Chord Symbol Region. The chord symbols will appear together with a faint blue bar that shows the extent of the region)

One of the options must be checked on that bit of the menu (as they cover all possible options). If you don’t ever want chord symbols for this Player, choose Hide for all Instruments (This is confusing, but just means hide symbols for all instruments held by this player, not all instruments in the score!)

3 Likes

Thank you. I am trying to understand why the “First Steps” lesson is asking me to check an option that, if I understand correectly, is a) not applicable to the parts in question (cornet and clarinet) and, also b) is formatted in a way where the actions required cannot be completed . To illustrate here is the wording of the “First Steps” tutorial:
Right-click the player card and choose Chord Symbols > Show in Chord Symbol and Slash Regions from the context menu.
You can also click Player Settings Player Settings button in the Players panel in the Players panel to access this option.

Repeat step 2 for the clarinet and cornet players. [Can’t be done???]